Shooters Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I agree, I'm no pro, just a Bubba but I wouldn't start a project without knowing how to finish it. Time was when the best way to get a hunting rifle for cheap was to "sporterize" a Mauser or Springfield but on today's market one can get a new Savage complete with scope for less then the cost of a beater Mauser and way less then the cost to scope one.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I owned one of those Springfields "improved" sometime in the '50s. Lovely hunting rifle, especially after I replaced the Herters stock with a light McMillan and added a Leopold 1x 4 scope.

Another firearm I never should have sold....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I thought Lasik was supposed to correct poor vision- lol. If it doesn’t already have one it may be worth considering getting an inexpensive
rifle . Quite a few are fairly accurate and mount scopes easily. My eyes are going, but I’d never put a scope on my k98k Mauser. or even a 30-06 Mannlicher. I have two 30-30 lever actions that pained me to put scopes on for my aging eyes. But I just couldn’t get myself to put one on a 94 Winchester lever action.lol. Some things are better off being left as is. I always like having a few rifles without scopes in their purist forms. It may as well be the old war horses that I elect not to scope.
Lasik screwed up my eyes beyond repair. It’s been a nightmare. That’s a whole different conversation.
If I could get a scope on this Mauser I have, I would be happy enough

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
did you ever try aperture sights? i have them and i just luv them. i have them on a 98 mauser, 1898 springfield armory and win m94 and soon to be a 1891 argentine(my gunsmith has it). my eyes aren't what they used be!!!!

https://shop.williamsgunsight.com/ecommerce/p/fpmauser-98-001282
or

i agree with rifter, he ain't much of a gunsmith.

·
Registered
43 Posts
One of my pet peeves,,,,,,, Mausers that are drilled and tapped incorrectly and are ruined o_O

·
Premium Member
14,341 Posts
Good Mausers that have been 'ruined' are repaired, but you're right, many have been done wrong. I have pictures of repairs if you like to see them. A Springfield drilled wrong is pretty much toasted. Not much to do for that.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
did i do right? 😂 😂 😂

·
Premium Member
14,341 Posts
When epoxy just wont do.....

·
Registered
328 Posts
I know a guy that could do something like that.. a "buzz box" AC welder and hardware store machine screws.
He likes the "RUSTIC" look on most everything. He doesn't understand metal and I question his knowledge of wood too. I prefer a more refined finished look that harmonizes with the product.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,124 Posts
Someone should spend some time in purgatory for that abomination..... :eek:

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Look on Gunbroker a lot of older military rifles that have been sporterized to use a scope you can pick up for a song.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Looking for the best WW2 era rifle to mount a modern optic to. My eyes are pretty messed up from lasik and I pretty much can’t use iron sites on anything. I have to put a nice scope on every one of my rifles at this point. I love WW2 era rifles (or clones) but they are very difficult to shoot. I bought a Yugo m24/47 but I should have done more research because it is a pain getting a scope proper on it.
You need to find a competent gunsmith. A Mauser 98 Yugo M24/47 is an excellent rifle to mount a scope on. Leupold, Burris, and others make scope bases for the Mauser 98. About 30 bucks. You will need a set of scope rings to match your base. Mauser 98 receivers are case hardend around the front, and they need to be mounted in a press or milling machine and aligned perfectly before drilling. Simply set the proper scope base on the recever and align it properly, mark the drilling points and drill. Use the hardened gun screws that come with the base, after threading the holes. The front hole should not be drilled deep enough to penetrate the barrel. I've mounted scopes on a lot of Mauser 98s. From early 1898 until present, and especially after WWII, the German 98 Mauser and its many clones became a sort of standard basis for building fine sporting rifles. Even today, Mauser, and some fine English gun makers still use the Mauser 98 platform. It has, over the years even won more than a few benchrest awards.

Other great WWII platforms are the US 1917 Enfield, The British P-14 Enfield, the 1903 Springfield, the British MK4 Enfield. These require extra work to mount scopes, and some of the collector prices prohibit butchering them to mount a scope. I have a 303 British Mk4 Enfield, that I manufactured my own scope mount from a piece of angle Iron and a flat pitcanny rail. I took off the original rear sight and stowed it under the butt plate inside the stock so it can be restored original at some point. The old 303 warhorse, with a 3X9 scope will shoot a 1.5 inch group at 200 yards, and its pleasant to shoot because of its weight.

The Japanese Arisaka in 7.7 is considered one of the strongest bolt actions in the world. And they are accurate too. Recent collector prices have climbed so I would not butcher an original example.

Mauser 93s in lighter calibers are great too, but should not be rebarreled with modern super high pressure cartridges.

Find a competent gunsmith and let him look at you Yugo. Sometimes holes drilled wrong can be welded shut and re-drilled. Your Yugo is a great choice for a WWII era rifle.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts