Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've some 300 grain Montana bullets for my Ruger Blackhawk. I tried to load one up a week or two ago. This is what happened. Also it did an accordion job on the brass. Yes, I did bell the mouths before trying to seat this bullet.
20200626_124555 (1).jpg
So, my question is, does RCBS make a bullet seater with a plain flat face? As you can see, the bullet seater, with it's "locating" ridge around the outside, is too small for the meplat of these bullets. Anyone got one and where did you get it? Can't order direct from RCBS and I can't find anything anywhere online.

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
There are many instances where the seater doesn't fit the bullet correctly. If the die manufacturer can't help then it turns into a do-it-yourself project. If you have or know of someone with a lathe, reworking a seater plug is easy. If not, acceptable results can be had with a die grinder or Dremel type tool.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are many instances where the seater doesn't fit the bullet correctly. If the die manufacturer can't help then it turns into a do-it-yourself project. If you have or know of someone with a lathe, reworking a seater plug is easy. If not, acceptable results can be had with a die grinder or Dremel type tool.
I was afraid of that.
Mayhaps a bit of molten lead to fill the hole? I dunno.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,072 Posts
Grind the ridge off. That's what I did when faced with the same problem. The remaining flat in the middle works great on flat-nosed bullets.

Oh and I'd suggest a Lyman "M" die for case expansion. Try one and you'll never go back.

·
Premium Member
14,198 Posts
Fill the seater cavity with epoxy. You can mold it to any dimension you want by using one of your bullets as a pattern.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Like JBelk said. I cover the bullet nose with clear kitchen wrap, then use exopy on seater surface to get good profile. doesn't waste a bullet and releases easily.

·
Super Moderator
13,161 Posts
It looks like the RCBS seater has reshaped the nose to accept a gas check. Maybe that could become a thing?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Might ask the bullet manufacturer what seating plug they used to develop this bullet. And as for the case mouth, you might also try a chamfering tool to remove any rough edges on the brass if it's new brass. New Starline brass case mouths are pretty rough, especially the nickel stuff and requires chamfering to remove the rough edges that make seating bullets in them pretty near impossible.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Grind the ridge off. That's what I did when faced with the same problem. The remaining flat in the middle works great on flat-nosed bullets.

Oh and I'd suggest a Lyman "M" die for case expansion. Try one and you'll never go back.
Beat me to it. M dies work wonders.

·
Registered
77 Posts
It looks like the RCBS seater has reshaped the nose to accept a gas check. Maybe that could become a thing?
Kinda like the opposite of a soft point. With all the fad bullets selling these days, if you marketed it as some kind of tactical super bullet you could probably make a fortune.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts