Shooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking for some .277 bullets last night and looking in my normal places. Midway, Graf's, Scheel's, Midsouth, Powder Valley, etc. Came across a few new ones I won't mention, but you need to be on the lookout for!!

If everything they have is in stock...beware! Read their about info. If the English is terrible...beware! If you can put 10 8 lb. powder kegs in your cart...beware!

Here is an example of things to look for. If they misspell Rifles...beware! :p

Machine gun Air gun Trigger Line Gun barrel

·
Registered
495 Posts
Yes, it is like that across the board. Google something you are looking for and you will get a couple responses with way out of line cheap prices. I always avoid those and any new outfit google reviews or is it legit.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,692 Posts
Hey, don't judge... maybe the "riffles" decided to change their names to a different spelling!!! Now you've triggered them by calling them out on their spelling, instead of accepting them for who they choose to be.... :p
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Hold on now guys! Don't be judgmental based on that observation, it may just be a case of simply 'stupidity'!
What's Bill Engvall's line..."There's your sign!".
About 25 years ago, we were moving our gun club to a new property we had purchased and developed. It was 'a ways' out in the country, requiring several turn offs to different country roads. At one of our board meetings, we decided that 'traditional country directions', such as 'Turn right by the field where the old oak tree used to stand.' wouldn't suffice for many of our 'citified' members. So, one board member was assigned the task of contacting a 'professional sign company' to have several (IIRC, five signs) signs made that we would post at the different intersections to precisely lead people to our property. We wanted the signs to be durable enough to last for many years, so no cost was spared to get nice heavy gauge metal signs. After waiting some time for manufacturing, said board member brought the signs for 'presentation' to a board meeting. Prior to the 'unveiling', he prefaced by saying we may have to have the sign company try again.
Motor vehicle Rectangle Font Wood Gas

The sign company needed an 'editorial staff' or 'proof reader'.
I've kept one of the signs in my loading room as a constant reminder of the old adage " Measure twice...cut once!"

P.S. Yes, when installed, we did get the arrows pointed in the right direction!:oops:;)

·
Registered
640 Posts
Hold on now guys! Don't be judgmental based on that observation, it may just be a case of simply 'stupidity'!
Regardless there are many 'signs' on scam sites that are blatantly obvious but I still read about a few people (various places) who dive in and get 'taken'.

Even some of the places that show nothing in stock but guarantee a delivery date have their own ways to rip people off. One place had a 30% restocking fee (hidden, in the 'fine print') with a $300 minimum order. So one orders from the place then some time passes and the order never shows and the buyer gets frustrated and wants to cancel - then learns of the 'restocking fee' - which also applies to cancelled orders.

Bottom line? stick with the well known online and catalog sites you have used in the past.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
My post was (is) intended to be lighthearted, because it was somewhat funny (if not frustrating) 25 years ago. But, you're right, online scams are a serious matter and it's amazingly easy to get 'sucked in' to what can seem very legit. Being on your toes and practicing 'If it sounds too good to be true, then likely it isn't!!' will prevent most from being duped, regardless of the temptation. The 'obvious ones, like JW's post is easier to identify and walk (run) away from.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Was looking for some .277 bullets last night and looking in my normal places. Midway, Graf's, Scheel's, Midsouth, Powder Valley, etc. Came across a few new ones I won't mention, but you need to be on the lookout for!!

If everything they have is in stock...beware! Read their about info. If the English is terrible...beware! If you can put 10 8 lb. powder kegs in your cart...beware!

Here is an example of things to look for. If they misspell Rifles...beware! :p

View attachment 103605
Yep I almost bought some powder online, got to wodering why he claimed he could get most anything while shops around here cant get a damn thing. I looked at the website and it hd all good reviews. All 5 reviews had foriegn names attached, as was the name of the seller. Decided to skip it. I would post the name but itwas before Christmas and I dont have it anymore. Oh yeah he wanted tofo Paypal friends and family only.......no refunds available for that if its a bad transaction.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What's Bill Engvall's line..."There's your sign!".
About 25 years ago, we were moving our gun club to a new property we had purchased and developed. It was 'a ways' out in the country, requiring several turn offs to different country roads. At one of our board meetings, we decided that 'traditional country directions', such as 'Turn right by the field where the old oak tree used to stand.' wouldn't suffice for many of our 'citified' members. So, one board member was assigned the task of contacting a 'professional sign company' to have several (IIRC, five signs) signs made that we would post at the different intersections to precisely lead people to our property. We wanted the signs to be durable enough to last for many years, so no cost was spared to get nice heavy gauge metal signs. After waiting some time for manufacturing, said board member brought the signs for 'presentation' to a board meeting. Prior to the 'unveiling', he prefaced by saying we may have to have the sign company try again.
View attachment 103606

The sign company needed an 'editorial staff' or 'proof reader'.
I've kept one of the signs in my loading room as a constant reminder of the old adage " Measure twice...cut once!"

P.S. Yes, when installed, we did get the arrows pointed in the right direction!:oops:;)
must be ther St Louis club........awsome facility

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Scammers are everywhere, and getting worse. Calling ID is one of the best things ever invented. I don't answer ANY phone it I don't know the number. Tell new people that might call me to leave a voice message on my cell, if they want me to call them back:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts