Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MSN posted a study by the University of Pennsylvania suggesting that big cities are safer than small towns. :rolleyes:

"Overall, the risk of death from a firearm was no different in a rural vs. an urban settings. Yet, for some groups of people, particularly children and people older than 45, firearm deaths were higher in rural areas.
For people age 20-44, the risk of firearm deaths was greater in big cities."

"The most common causes of injury-related deaths: motor vehicle crashes. In most rural areas there were 27.61 vehicle-related deaths per 100,000 people, compared with 10.58 deaths per 100,000 people in most urban areas, according to the study."

Surprise! Big cities safer than small towns, study finds - U.S. News

"At the end of the day, it's about access to care and how far you are from a trauma center," Mell said. "How fast you can get to center with trained physicians and oftentimes into the operating room."

They excluded terrorist attacks.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
They excluded terrorist attacks.
They are outliers... just like spree shootings. If you add up all the deaths due to spree shootings for the past few decades, it wouldn't equal one year of homicides. That's why using spree shootings as rationale for some of these gun regulations they want to pass doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Did they take out suicide? More suicides by gun in rural areas, *** more folks have guns. They things should be limited to death by gun in a crime (excluding suicide). The public takes these stats as crime related.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Study done at University of Pennsylvania located in probably the most dangerous and most anti-gun city in Pennsylvania. Where would you prefer to walk unarmed, in the ghettos of Philadelphia or the wilds, rural areas and small towns of Pennsylvania?

Reactions: treecarcass

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Could be wrong, but logic tells me big cities have more predators than small towns.
That doesn't make you more likely to be harmed by them. Crime _rates_ tell you about your likelihood of being a crime victim. Psychological factors, generally speaking, dramatically out-weigh data when it comes to the average person's perceptions, fears, and even decisions.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
The part about vehicle deaths per 100,000 is bogus also. A more accurate statistic would be deaths per miles driven.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
That doesn't make you more likely to be harmed by them. Crime _rates_ tell you about your likelihood of being a crime victim. Psychological factors, generally speaking, dramatically out-weigh data when it comes to the average person's perceptions, fears, and even decisions.
Spoken like a true politician. :rolleyes: HUH ????

·
Registered
13,283 Posts

I know what you're referring to, and in the second line of your comment, you are technically correct. However, you neglect to mention that this survey is not truly about "Crime_rates". This is about "risk of death from a firearm". Folks, and by that I mean sheeple, jump to the conclusion that this means "crime"...but it doesn't. They include suicide by gun in these numbers.

When you really break down the numbers, we all know the truth: Your odds of being killed by someone else with a gun are much higher, per capita, in a big city. Trying to spin it any other way, or buying into that spin, is not seeing things very clearly. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Broom, I didn't even look at the 'study.' I already know the crime rates in my area, and others across the country. The FBI makes them available on their website for anyone who cares to look. My comment was only a response to the misunderstanding (or misdirection, since this thread seems to be about assumption of bias) that only the _number_ of 'predators' in an area equates to a higher risk. The _rate_ of 'predation' tells you your risk.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Surveys and polls are usually nothing then a pack of lies and the data not properly vetted and are slanted towards one view or the other. When they mention "vehicle related deaths" does having a heart attack while plowing your field get lumped together into the data of into a city kid run down that just got off a school bus by someone talking on a cell phone that swerved around the bus (like happened here)?

Both are vehicle related deaths.

Do small towns misreport data and hide it, like Atlanta was found recently guilty of doing to screw the crime rate down? Do small towns have heavily armed SWAT teams storm the wrong house because an informant lied and gun down a grandmother in her own chair and then the people that shot her dead receive accolades and awards for bravery. Which I assume they hang on their current jail house walls when they were found lying including on the warrant.

I have a relative that lives in a small town, frequently does not lock house windows and doors, or his car where he leaves his wallet with cash in his unlocked car glove box. Try that in Chicago or Detroit.

I will take rural any time if I had a choice. The only thing wrong with rural living is not having easy access to good paying jobs, imho.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gun suicides up, murders down in US cities, CDC finds

Another link...Gun suicides up, murders down in cities.

"The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which is reasserting its right to study and report on gun deaths, says the economy is a clear factor in the rise in suicides, as is access to guns."

"But killings are still high among youths. The second leading cause of deaths among teenagers was homicide, and 83 percent of these killings involved a gun."

"But access to guns also plays a role, Mercy and his colleague Scott Kegler report in the CDC’s weekly report on death, illness and disease. “A factor likely affecting firearm homicide and suicide is access to firearms by persons at risk for harming themselves or others,” they wrote.

"But in 1996, the Congress -- pressed hard by the National Rifle Association -- worked to block medical research on gun violence, saying it wasn’t a public health issue. An amendment to an appropriations bill cut $2.6 million from the CDC’s budget, exactly the amount the agency’s injury prevention center had previously spent on gun research."

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Well, I added this up:

SOURCE: MSN News
SOURCE: Jeff Black, NBC staffwriter
LOGIC: Only a young adult rube would buy into this swill

We've all been around, from small towns to big cities. Who buys this manipulated data? Especially considering the source(s)?

ALERT! Study finds Diet Coke better for you than regular Coke!
ALERT! Study finds margarine better for body than butter!
ALERT! Study finds artificial sweetners safer than sugar!
ALERT! Study finds man-made global warming destroying earth!

Americans bought into some of those frauds, I suppose. Might as well buy this one too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I know what you're referring to, and in the second line of your comment, you are technically correct. However, you neglect to mention that this survey is not truly about "Crime_rates". This is about "risk of death from a firearm". Folks, and by that I mean sheeple, jump to the conclusion that this means "crime"...but it doesn't. They include suicide by gun in these numbers.

When you really break down the numbers, we all know the truth: Your odds of being killed by someone else with a gun are much higher, per capita, in a big city. Trying to spin it any other way, or buying into that spin, is not seeing things very clearly. :rolleyes:
yup...'nuff said!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Surveys and polls are usually nothing then a pack of lies and the data not properly vetted and are slanted towards one view or the other. When they mention "vehicle related deaths" does having a heart attack while plowing your field get lumped together into the data of into a city kid run down that just got off a school bus by someone talking on a cell phone that swerved around the bus (like happened here)?

Both are vehicle related deaths.

Do small towns misreport data and hide it, like Atlanta was found recently guilty of doing to screw the crime rate down? Do small towns have heavily armed SWAT teams storm the wrong house because an informant lied and gun down a grandmother in her own chair and then the people that shot her dead receive accolades and awards for bravery. Which I assume they hang on their current jail house walls when they were found lying including on the warrant.

I have a relative that lives in a small town, frequently does not lock house windows and doors, or his car where he leaves his wallet with cash in his unlocked car glove box. Try that in Chicago or Detroit.

I will take rural any time if I had a choice. The only thing wrong with rural living is not having easy access to good paying jobs, imho.
There's different kinds of 'good' pay.....rural living is it's own reward, and it's not as easy going as you might think! I'm an ol' country boy and I'm here to tell ya' that we bust our *** and don't take anything for granted! There's bad folks everywhere! Just get to know your neighbors (good and bad!) and watch out for each other...then it doesn't matter where you are! just a thought I thought ya' all might think about! :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts