Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently came across a fascinating new lever action rifle in .500 S&W - the Big Horn Armory 89. Apparently it's something of a cross between a Winchester 86 and a Winchester 92, with improved metallurgy. Stainless with nice walnut. http://www.bighornarmory.com/products/rifle.php Anyone hear about this one or have any experience with it?

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I down loaded the catalog and have been looking at this rifle for several weeks now.
The 454 Casull, 460 S&W and the 500 S&W interest me as rifle cartridges.
I have been interested in the 45-70, 45-90 and the 50-100-450 since childhood when I read of how well they performed on North American big game.
The 454 in the Browning Hunter is quite a combination. I believe any of the big cartridges would be quite a bit of fun to load for. The advantage is the ability to use modern brass and a wide variety of powders with a wide assortment of bullets. Loaded to slightly exceed the velocities of the original hunting cartridges these rifles should make for fine hunting guns. The .50-100-450 was considered the best of the Model ’86 calibers for the hunter by “those in the know” right at the end of the black powder era. This rifle looks like it would suit me fine; the only thing holding me back is money!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Whoa... Right in my back yard and I didn't know about this gun.:eek:

Definitely the rifle!!!! :D

I have a Rossi 454 casull that I won at the local Friends of the NRA banquet. But the Big Horn 89 is clearly a step up. The casull jumps around with full power 265 gr. factory loads in the light Rossi and i don't like being that rough on a 92 action. I am more comfortable with slower 300 gr. handloads.

I would feel safe taking any game in the rockies with the 454 up to and including Grizzly.

Scruf

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
A couple of years ago, I undertook a project to make a 444 XLR the best that it could be...and, a rifle that was suitable for my type of hunting. I put a lot of work into that gun, and adding the parts, time (I work cheap), and money I expended to get what I wanted from this rifle, it exceeded the cost of a new Big Horn levergun! "If" the Big Horn is truly a top notch "no modifications required" precision built and accurate levergun the cost in my opinion would be reasonable. It looks to be a beautifully made piece, and my only gripe is that it is not chambered in the "big bores". The Marlin can be modified in to quite a precision/accurate rifle, with an action that will operate a smooth as silk, but, if the same can be had "out of the box", it would be well worth the investment.

Reactions: jimboro

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
I down loaded the catalog and have been looking at this rifle for several weeks now.
The 454 Casull, 460 S&W and the 500 S&W interest me as rifle cartridges.
I have been interested in the 45-70, 45-90 and the 50-100-450 since childhood when I read of how well they performed on North American big game.
The 454 in the Browning Hunter is quite a combination. I believe any of the big cartridges would be quite a bit of fun to load for. The advantage is the ability to use modern brass and a wide variety of powders with a wide assortment of bullets. Loaded to slightly exceed the velocities of the original hunting cartridges these rifles should make for fine hunting guns. The .50-100-450 was considered the best of the Model ’86 calibers for the hunter by “those in the know” right at the end of the black powder era. This rifle looks like it would suit me fine; the only thing holding me back is money!
Slim,

I have done some research into the 454 Casull and it seemed to me like there weren't very many powders suitable for it. What loads have you been putting together and have you found more than 2 or 3 powders that will do what you want?

That Bighorn Armory lever-gun is a thing of beauty, but at that price, it should be! :)

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Yeah,There's H110 and.........

I have been loading for the 454Casull for some time now. I have both a 16" carbine and a 6" revo.

To me H110 is the very best that one could use with ANY 454Casull full power load, with ANY bullet, from 265gr to 360gr. Why would someone want multiple powders when one is clean,fast,and abundant anywhere ??

Especially if also loading for the 44mag and others. H110 will do it all. -----pruhdlr

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
I can't argue that H110 is a really good choice, but it is a powder known for requiring a magnum primer and near-capacity charges, for reliable ignition. What about 2400? Is that useful for 454 Casull loads? I've always liked the idea of being able to use more than one powder, in case the one you like is discontinued (W-680) or you simply can't find the one you normally use, anywhere.

Actually, sitting here thinking about it, W-680 would probably have been an IDEAL powder, for the 454, 500 S&W or any of the high-pressure pistol cases being used, these days.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use H110 for max loads and WW231 for .45 Colt-level loads (using standard pistol primers) in my .454 rifle. Both produce excellent results. My manual indicates that 2400 is an excellent powder for .454 as well.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I'm lusting after that rifle, or the carbine. The wood they show in the photo is spectacular.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This appears to be about as close to my dream lever action as I could get (other than I might like one in .460 S&W even better). Styled like the Winchester 71 (which I think is the prettiest lever action ever made), made of stainless, with beautiful wood and a stout action chambered for a cartridge with smashing knock-down power (and easy to load for). What's not to like (other than the price)? I think if I were to order one I would want the rifle, with optional checkering (if it's a nice pattern) and in regular stainless (not the black plating). We'll see if that will come to pass someday... :)

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I'm getting close to hating my Brother-In-Law. He just ordered one of these in the rifle version with the black steel. At least I know he'll let me shoot it.....

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Unclepaddy; How about a "range report"? It would interest me to find out how good these high dollar leverguns really are.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Unclepaddy; How about a "range report"? It would interest me to find out how good these high dollar leverguns really are.
I will definitely give a full report here. Problem is, it turns out the gun is not even in production yet. They put him on a list, and he has been told to look for the rifle in 3-4 months. If it's a good thing, I will get one myself, to go with my .500 handgun. It's great to be able to "guinea pig" on someone else's dime!

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
It's not even in production, huh? That makes me wonder if they really HAVE solved the problem of how to build a lever-gun strong enough for such high-pressure cartridges, with the large diameter rims.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Send no money!!!! There are many legitimate "pay as you go" newly manufactured, or products in development out there, but, there are some scams as well. I know of a few folks who kept shelling money out to be in the front of the line for a new product, who never recieved that product, and subsequently the "company" went out of business. There was no way they could retrieve their investment! Because of that "I" would personaly steer clear of any product that requires you to pay up front, or submit a down payment for something that has not even been built, tested, etc. I am NOT saying that this company is not legitimate, but, I am saying that a little investigation wouldnt hurt either. I had one friend that invested over 75,000 dollars in a new product, and the company said it was in development, and was always hitting him up for more money.....he lost the whole wad....the company can no longer be contacted, and there is no record of the company ever being in business! Anyway, let the buyer beware.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
According to the reports I got, the gun design is complete, but they are getting so many questions about custom features, they are overwhelmed. My Brother-In-Law, for instance, is 6'7" and would like some extra stock length. From what I gather, there is very serious interest in the lever action .500, as I predicted there would be.
BTW, the rim on a .500 is almost nonexistent. It's a fairly serious design flaw as far as my revolver is concerned. The extractor won't pull the cases completely out of the cylinder, and sometimes if you don't make a positive enough motion and keep the gun pointed up the cases can end up behind the extractor.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I can think of better ways to spend $2,000. Not worth it in my opinion. Besides, no straight grip stock.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Send no money!!!! There are many legitimate "pay as you go" newly manufactured, or products in development out there, but, there are some scams as well. I know of a few folks who kept shelling money out to be in the front of the line for a new product, who never recieved that product, and subsequently the "company" went out of business. There was no way they could retrieve their investment! Because of that "I" would personaly steer clear of any product that requires you to pay up front, or submit a down payment for something that has not even been built, tested, etc. I am NOT saying that this company is not legitimate, but, I am saying that a little investigation wouldnt hurt either. I had one friend that invested over 75,000 dollars in a new product, and the company said it was in development, and was always hitting him up for more money.....he lost the whole wad....the company can no longer be contacted, and there is no record of the company ever being in business! Anyway, let the buyer beware.
Good advice, but I don't think any money will change hands until things jell a bit more. I just want to shoot one.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Considering that this appears to be a limited production, semi-custom gun, the price is probably quite reasonable. Machining and possibly custom fitting all the parts on a small scale increases the cost significantly over a mass produced weapon. Look at how much a Freedom Arms revolver costs! If it turns out to be a nice as promised, I think I would start saving my pennies... :)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts