Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Sako L461 action originally chambered for 222 Rem. That barrel needs to be repaced. I want to get the most from this action, possibly something in 6mm or 7mm and 2800 fps with a 140 grain bullet. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,440 Posts
There are a number of wildcat for silhouette shooting based on the .223 case necked to 6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 cal, and so on.  Hodgdon #26 had load data for many of them.

If you measure the length of the magazine box on the gun, and compare to OAL for various cartridges, this will give you an idea of whether you can move up to a bigger case (ie. .308 Win-based cartridges).

·
36,440 Posts
Right, it would have to be opened up for a different cartridge head size, or a new bolt obtained.

While we're still on the subject, how about the Remington .30 Benchrest & it's kin?  Read an article (Stan Troznic?) where he was deer hunting with same.  Can't remember where, though.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Yes the boltface would have to be opened for 308 and the extractor changed. For that matter I know a man who opened one up to magnum and used .458 Win Mag. on  an L461. Not very practical but it can be done.

·
36,440 Posts
Ouch!!!!

Sounds like it would kill on both ends...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help and advice. I think I need to find a gunsmith who can do the work and talk to them about the possibilities. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 6mm variation of the Seeley Masker Wasp (on an L461) using de-rimmed 30/30 family cases and get 3060fps with WW748 and Nosler 85gr partitions. Around 3700fps with 55gr BT's on the same case with a 26" stainless barrel.
Action rails were opened up, a new mag box made, the follower widened and the bolt face and extractor opened out. It is highly accurate & with the 55's gives nothing away to a 22/250, with 85's is a match for most 243's with 22" tubes.
[email protected]

·
Banned
176 Posts
I am new to wildcats, but working on a simular project - the biggest cased 6.5 or 7mm in an CZ527. The CZ527 and perhaps the Sako L461 are too small in diameter to handle '06 head diameter cases. The easy way as noted is to go with one of the many necked-up .223 or .222 mag variants, but the .30 Remington could be necked down and is the largest case I have found that will fit in the CZ527.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am new to wildcats, I have been building a 7MM TCU on a Sako 223 action. 15 1/2 " Octagon barrel and birdseye maple stock. I shoot the Sierra Single Shot Pistol Bullets in it and still fireforming brass. I just picked a load between min and max load and made up 20 rounds and the first few rounds I was getting the scope adjusted. The next 5 shots were under 1 inch. Just wondering what kind of case life I should expect with this.  Also has anyone seen a trigger shoe for this little action?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts