Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I would like a bipod for my new Sharps rifle , but would like it to be a semi-authentic looking one that would go with the Sharps rifle.

Does anyone know if someone re-creates them, and if not, how could I make one that looks like it was "from the day" ?

Jean

·
Registered
140 Posts
I assume you mean shooting sticks?

Shiloh sells them on their web site, and I think Buffalo Arms does too.

Or you could make your own set. If you do some googling you'll find enough info on that.

Chris.

·
Banned
507 Posts
Shooting sticks are nice, but you need to take the saddle off your horse and use it to aim from a prone position.

Jerry

·
Registered
199 Posts
Here's a tip, might apply there in the states - wooden dowel is fairly expensive, the cheapest wooden broom handles are dirt cheap!

My shooting sticks consist of a broom handle cut in half and joined a few inches from the top with a bolt, so the legs will fold. A couple of long batten screws were started into the bottoms of the legs and sharpened to fine points, helps them to stand up in sandy conditions and also good to poke other shooters who are giving you cheek about your broom handles. My MK 1 set of sticks had a leather yoke across the top to rest the rifle in, but I felt it was too unstable. I have leather covers laced around the tops of the sticks on the MK II version, and just sit the barrel in between.

Biggest thing with sticks is to find the best "bedding", in this case a sweet spot for your barrel in the sticks. In a perfect world, if you have the time and patience, you should shoot several groups with the barrel resting in different places in the sticks until you find the spot that gives the best accuracy. Then mark it and always rest the same part of the barrel in the sticks when you shoot.

For shooting prone some people use a little tiny set of sticks, (I guess it saves stabbing your horse and dragging it down Lonesome Dove style just to get a benchrest from the saddle?) and one broom handle could conceivably make enough sets for you and your friends.

Just don't cut up the wife's broom to make your sticks, they don't understand and the house will get messy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a tip, might apply there in the states - wooden dowel is fairly expensive, the cheapest wooden broom handles are dirt cheap!

Just don't cut up the wife's broom to make your sticks, they don't understand and the house will get messy.
Of course I won't: She needs it for transportation!!! :D :D :D

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Mr. Jean we hardly knew ye...
;)

Buffalo Arms has lots.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm still here guys... thanks for the concern!

I've got a nice - no, gorgeous - design on paper, and I will post pictures once it is built. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Mines made of dowel with leather shoe laces (thongs) to tie it together. The leather is also wrapped a couple of inches to cushion the rifle and dampen vibration. I used a fishing rod builders know==like used for wrapping guides. My BIL (not a traditionalist) put plastic tubing on his.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I made a pair using the dowel and brass screw method outlined above. I cut the heads off some 12 penny galvanized nails and epoxied them into holes drilled in the center of the dowels to provide some holding power when they are set up. I also used a piece of nylon for a sling between the tops to support the rifle. My original intent was to replace it with a suitable piece of leather but I never got around to cutting and sewing one for it.

Latigo leather lashing works well to with a wrap through the middle, but it's a trade off as they tighten more the farther you spread the sticks and it's a self limiting process. With a brass bolt you're limited only by the length of the sling.

I use a smaller set for hunting with my Model 94 and BB94 carbines using fiberglass tent pole sections (shortened as needed) and o-rings:

They'll fit in a small case you can hang on your belt:

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,136 Posts
Have a set made of 3/8"x48"fiberglass dowel rod tied together with nylon cord. Sturdy and easy to carry.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you want more "old timey" looks in your rifle rest, you might try using some antler. Attaching a forked piece of antler to a stick (whittled out of something) will do the trick for you. Most of the commercial stuff you find these days is just a couple dowels or 1" thick wood cut with a hole drilled for a bolt....not very authentic looking.

·
Premium Member
15,087 Posts
"Bipod for a Sharps" brought visions of a carbon fiber spoiler and ground-effects fender skirts on a Model T Ford. :)

Reactions: carpooler and Jack

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Buffalo Arms?

Check out Buffalo Arms. They sell a dandy that meets specs for this sort of thing. Got one...works great.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,219 Posts
I've made both long and short shooting sticks for varmint shooting. The long ones for sitting and short ones for prone. Elk hide laces hold the sticks together and let them "twist" and there's elk hide padding where the fore end rests.

RJ

1 - 16 of 16 Posts