Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I have been reading through the forums and I have found a lot of excellent information, and decided to join. Hopefully you all can help me out here.

I just recently purchased a Savage 12FV in .22-250. It is a 26" heavy barrel synthetic stocked number. It also has a 4-12x40AO Simmons scope. Obviously, it is a heavy gun for varmint.

My question is, have any of you had any experience with the Harris bipods? I have heard they are the best around. I was looking at the longer ones, as I want one that can be used sitting or prone. I was looking at the model H (13.5-23") and also the model 25 (12-25") and 25C (13.5-27"). Is the swivel model worth the extra money? Keep in mind that I am about 6' 1" and weigh about 205.

Any opinions and/or advice would be greatly appreciated. Help me to complete my varmint rifle! Thanks!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hey Coffinhauler, welcome aboard. This is likely THE most intelligent (and opinionated :D) group on the web. There is a tremendous diversity of knowledge here. I am informed and entertained every time I visit.

I use a Harris model H on my Rem 722 .22-250. I am 5"11" and 200lbs. I thought it would be the most flexible because I could use it from a sitting position. What I found was when the legs are in the shortest position the legs are still about 1" too long for me, especially when taking slightly downhill shots. I often end up with the lower corner of the rifle butt in the middle of my shoulder and have to strain a little to get a good sight picture. Not really condusive to good shooting. I rarely use it sitting because when the grass is high enough to require a sitting shot, the grass hides the woodchucks anyway. I am thinking of modifying mine to lose about 1-1/2". If I had to do it again I would buy the shorter model. If you can, see if you can bum a shot or two from someone at your local range to see if you are comfortable behind it. You may not need the swivel style. Even with the rigid mount you can still pan some to track a moving target. The swivel style may not provide as stable a rest. I have no complaints regarding quality with mine. Good luck with your choice!

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
Hello! Welcome!!

I have used a bipod in the past on a Savage 10flp in .223.
The model was model L. It was rock solid and very good when you had to get up and switch positions because by just hitting the button the legs retracted. From what I remember they were a bit pricey, but worth it!

Chris~

·
Beartooth Regular
2,139 Posts
Coffinhauler,
I've got the "H" model, and it is too high for me to use comfortably from prone. Works great for sitting, and is well made. But if you want to shoot a lot from prone get a shorter model. IDShooter

1 - 6 of 6 Posts