Shooters Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the term "Bird Gun" is used in the South it refers mainly to a hunter's favorite quail gun. However. it really refers to any shotgun that is used for upland game. It should be light, fit well, low in recoil, and throw a very uniform pattern at 25 yards. My favorite "bird gun" is a Remington Mod. 870 SC in 20 ga. This shotgun has fancy walnut, cut checkering, VR with a Cutts. It left Remington's custom shop as a high grade skeet gun in the 50's. It is "the" gun I pick up for dove, quail, and snipe! Whether your "bird gun" is 12, 16, 20, or 28 gauge, some thoughts concerning your loads is important! Of all the factory ammo, millions have been spent developing the various clay bird shells. The loads for these games must throw even uniform patterns! I highly reccomend trap and skeet loads, from #7 1/2 to #9's for your bird loads. The shot in these shells are the highest antimony content and are extremely uniform in shape and size! The 20 ga 7/8 oz. of #9's are perfect for quail and snipe! In 12 ga. the 3-1 1/8-#7 1/2 and #8 are about the most perfect patterning loads I have found......give the trap & skeet loads a try!.......JCG

1 - 1 of 1 Posts