Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

My husband and I target shoot together very frequently. His birthday is coming up and I'm wondering what to get him? I was thinking of some kind of quirky object related to shooting/reloading/ballistics but really open to any ones ideas? To give you an idea he absolutely loves shooting to the core from the practical to the theory. He loves ballistics and reloading and pretty much already owns everything under the sun so I'm kind of stumped! Any ideas would be appreciated! Thank you :)

Regards,
sh007er

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,125 Posts
Bullet display board? Several companies have offered them in the past - a couple of names that come to mind are Sierra, Speer, and Hornady.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
On the low cost end, a disk of ballistic programs.

Mid priced a new high quality spotting scope stand (figure he has a decent scope already.

high end would be a Kimber varmint rifle in 260 Remington.

An electronic scale might be nice.

Could give him a trip to Camp Perry??

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,764 Posts
While these may not qualify as quirky, a couple suggestions based on your description of his interests.

A chrony if you don't already have one.

Suggest a Google search for reloading/ballistics. Here's a copy of a portion of a Google search for handloading software:

RCBS.Load software
www.gmdr.com/rcbs/datbas.htmLoad ballistics and reloading software home page. Description of the program's main utilities and features. Reloading data bases available through RCBS.
handloading software??? - Learning to Handload? - Metallic ...

Looking for some feedback on handloading software. i' ve seen different ballistic softwares available, just not really interested in full blown ...
Chrony ballistic software - The tools of the trade ...‎ - 10 posts - Apr 17, 2012
Firearm Inventory Software - Rifles - Rifles - The ...‎ - 6 posts - Jan 14, 2012
Quickload software - The tools of the trade - Metallic ...‎ - 10 posts - Nov 27, 2010
Reloading Software - Tips, Tricks and Inventions ...‎ - 20 posts - Mar 5, 2010
More results from handloadersbench.com »

Dexadine Ballistics Software - ballistic data for shooting and reloading
www.dexadine.com/Apr 6, 2012 – Exterior ballistics software - Ballistics software for handloaders and shooters - Easy to use ballistic sortware for hunters and reloaders ..

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
sh007er,

Welcome to the Forum; I see this is your first post. I think we need a bit more information to focus our help. You say in your initial post that you and your husband target shoot. Target shoot with WHAT: handguns, smallbore rifles, high power rifle, muzzleloaders, etc.

Again, welcome to this site.

Webley

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
welcome to the forum, glad you joined us!

I know my suggestion doesn't connect so well on the personal or quirky aspects but I'm betting he would use it.

A gift card from his favorite shooting supply store.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sh007er,

Welcome to the Forum; I see this is your first post. I think we need a bit more information to focus our help. You say in your initial post that you and your husband target shoot. Target shoot with WHAT: handguns, smallbore rifles, high power rifle, muzzleloaders, etc.

Again, welcome to this site.

Webley
Hello!

Sorry I was writing my post in such a rush lol... We target shoot with centrefire rifles from 100-800m ... we have several calibres ranging from .22 to .308.

:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey everyone!

Thank you so much for your replies and suggestions, I really appreciate it! He doesn't have a spotting scope but I think he would want a very decent one, probably above my budget at the moment lol... He does have a chrony and electronic scale though.

I also sent a message to our buddies at the shooting range and one of them replied advising that he purchased a shooting jacket/coat from creedmor then he purchased a leather one on ebay which is the one he will be keeping. He said it is still about to arrive so brand new unopened. I just need to find out if my husband is a size 40 lol then I can purchase it for $200. My husband has been using his motorbike jacket thus far so I think a shooting coat/jacket is probably the most practical present and not too expensive.

However just in case he is not a size 40 or perhaps for other occasions I need to buy him a gift, I will keep these recommendations in mind! Thank you again guys!

Regards,

Sh007er

·
Registered
816 Posts
I'll offer up a few suggestions: laser range finder, shooting rest, bi-pod, electronic hearing protection, metal spinner target set, brick of his favorite 22 ammo, binoculars, nice sand bag rest, rifle scope. As you see my suggestions could greatly range is price as I don't know what your budget is but maybe one of them would be good or at least give you an idea or a similar item that might be a good gift for him. Good luck.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Since you mentioned a shooting jacket and Creedmoor, you might check out Creedmoor's shooting gloves for high power shooting. Prices range from $25-40 US. They make it a lot more comfortable. I am guessing that he already has a shooting mat.
Creedmoorsports.com
JarHeadTop.com This site has lots of info on high power shooting and he offers books that are very helpful in learning the basics of high power shooting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts