Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The subject of a Bisley conversion has come up on another thread. (Ruger Price Check) Has anyone tried the Brownell's Bisley conversion kit on a Blackhawk?
I got my hands on a Bisley Vaquero and it felt wonderful.
I'd like to do that to my .41 Blackhawk but don't know if it is within my limited skill level.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,163 Posts
I talked to a fellow a while back who had done this. His was stainless so there was no bluing involved and he said that it wasn't real difficult. It screws into place on the frame but it's a bit oversize, so you have to file/sand it down to match the contour of your frame. I believe he used the synthetic sanding pads to match the brushed look of the frame once he had it shaped right. I'm sorry, I can't remember his name, I only talked to him the one time, but it seemed like a doable project for the non-gunsmith. IDShooter

·
Banned
20 Posts
I have done the bisley conversion on a stainless blackhawk , The gripframe was about 3/16 oversize and I used a 4 inch disc sander to take most of the excess off and then moved to a file and then finer and finer grades of sand paper wraped around a file as I got closer to the final fit .I then went to steel wool for the final finish .
Any screwups are for ever on a $165 item so care is required , I took my time ,about 3 hrs from start to finish. It came out looking great and I then sold my stailness blackhawk gripframe ,hammer and trigger on ebay for $110 so I got most of my money back .
I am not a professional gumnsmith by any means but I have done alot of the work to my guns myself . on that ruger i did the conversion to I also recut the forcing cone to 11 degrees , opened up cylinder mouths to .4525, drilled and taped topstrap to accept a scope mount,oversize basepin pin installed and put on apair of sumulated ivory grips.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the help.
I took norvilles advice and went to the rugerforum.
A great place to go for the Ruger nuts like me.
smokin 54- I lost you right around the 4 inch disc sander. It would take cojones the size of a basket ball to do that

·
Banned
20 Posts
Old Jim
Yea you are right , I had my big unerwear on that day. When I first started I tried a file but I could see it would take forever to remove the excess material so I broke out the disc sander and kept a wet rag handy to keep cooling the metal down so it never got hot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts