Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for you experts out there.  Just how difficult are the now readily available Bisley grip frames to install.  Brownell's catalog says they are "oversize".  Does this mean I need a bench grinder to get them to fit?  Or will my Dremel tool work?  Any advice is greatly appreciated.  Also, does any one know which source, direct from Ruger or Brownells (wholesale) is the least expensive?

·
Registered
5 Posts
If both the gun and the grip frame are of current vintage then the actual fitting is quite easy.  I use a mill file and some elbow grease.  The grip frame will be slightly wider than the cylinder frame. Carefull removal of material will rectify this situation. Keep the file wet with thin oil, even WD-40 or similar products. That will keep the metal filings from galling the file's "teeth" and also reduce some of the scratching which typically will occur.
Finish up with emery paper, beginning with 220 grit and then stepping down to 320. Depending on the desired finish, one can quit there or keep polishing.
I would get myself familar with grip frame and related component removal and replacement prior to attempting the job.
Cheapest source is probably Ruger and have an FFL order the parts.
flatgate

(Edited by flatgate at 4:18 pm on Aug. 22, 2001)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks flatgate.  You make it sound simple enough.  I have already ordered the grip frame and will report back on how simple (or difficult) I found the task to be.  JoeD

1 - 3 of 3 Posts