Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to agree that the Bisley grip angle reduces felt recoil, etc, but when the "hair gets short" the gun points low. I packed a real nice Colt 7 1/2" Bisley for a while. It had the original frame with a new Christy barrel and cylinder in .45 Long Colt. One day we got a big boar hog out in the palmetto flats. He had already cut up two dogs. I ran into a small opening about ten paces wide about time he got to the other side. Things got "quick!" There was only time to Throw" some shots, which in turn hit the dirt in front of him! He paused enough time for me to "aim" a shot....finus! Of all the handguns I've shot over the years the only ones that hit where you were looking were: 1851 Colt Navy (the best), 1860 Colt Army, Colt SA, and the Ruger Blackhawk series. The worst was the 1911 Colt Auto. If you aimed fast at his head, you made a "steer" out of him! Hey, I've been there! All I am saying is..The Bisley grip angle is great for Target shooting as it was designed for, but for where things get "fast and short" the old plow handle grip pays its way. Just somethig to think about! Ok boys. start throwing the KaKa!
Best Regards, James

·
Registered
531 Posts
I could not agree more.  The old High Standards and Colt Woodsmans were much better natural pointers to me, and I could never fathom the love affair with the military grip angle.  Admittly I never shot those enough for it to become familiar, but familiar isn't necessarily natural either.
Ditto, the Bisley grip frame.  I have heard all the plusses for these, and shot a bunch of them, but it never just felt right.  Personally, my Ruger Vaquero is more comfortable with really hot 44 magnums than anything I have ever shot except a S&W 629 Classic, with the full underlug, and a set of Hogue grips, than any other 44 I have ever shot.  It rolls up slightly under recoil, but there are no rough edges to get me.  My buddy's Bisley frame on the other hand, hurts my elbow after shooting it.

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
I think it has a great deal to do with the shape and configuration of one's hand!  I have big hands, but short fingers, and a long palm.   The Bisley grip frame is about the most comfortable under recoil, and most natural pointing sixgun I've ever had.   In fact, until shooting a Bisley grip Ruger, point shooting was merely a means of blowing off ammo!   The Bisley grip is the only one that I can instinctively shoot with, and with just a very little practice has become rather second nature!

I have friends however who are just the opposite in their preferences for grip, feeling that the "old plowhandle" is nigh-near perfect in their mits.

I don't think it matters what you choose, so long as the gun fits your hand!

God Bless,

Marshall

1 - 3 of 3 Posts