Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,246 Posts
Another fatal case of black gun disease. Give up, there is no cure. You can only control the symptoms buy buying more. Nice looking piece. I know you will enjoy the honeymoon.

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
I know I'll be swimming against the current here, but whenever I see any of the AR-type rifles, it just looks like a bunch of straight lines, converging on a common axis. They seem so "sparse", to me...like, a framework for something that hasn't had any of the finish added, yet. I own several guns without any wood on them, but they still "look" like a more traditional long gun. I guess I'm showing my age, but the AR's just leave me cold.

Anyway, what caliber is it in? I'm guessing .223? I hope it shoots really well and I'm sure it will be lots of fun!

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
well i kinda think like broom does ..but a gun shop owner of older age recently went out of buisiness.he was a convert to his ar15..
he said he d rather have it as a survival rifle in 223 as anything he s ever had..since im a function dependability man.. who knows what the future holds,for me..[ but it ain t in the budget now,,thats for sure..]
i hope you enjoy your gun an it meets all your expectations.good shootin ..slim
let us know how shes working out..

·
Banned
166 Posts
Nice stick. Go ahead and start planning on the next one, they mutliply. You'll be contemplating building your own within the next few months. BRD is the best disease one could ever hope to contract. Legos for adults, BUILD AWAY!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,355 Posts
I don't know what forum it was in, but do you want it in Rifles and Rifle cartridges? I'll move it for you. Don't know who moved it or why.

·
Premium Member
5,427 Posts
Nice shooting!

I've owned and sold about 6 AR's since I discovered them....
But have settled in on a 16" Bushmaster. They are super accurate, super reliable rifles the AR's , provided you do your part and maintain them correctly.
A scoped AR can be as accurate as a bolt gun, once you figger on what it likes to eat! :D
I have equipt mine with an Aimpoint Comp series red dot. It'll shoot great if I do my part, the shorter barrel length does not seen to effect the accuracy, well at least out to about 250yd.
Handlodaing the .223 will really make your gun shine. Watch the weight of your bullets in relation to the twist rate. My experience has been that the Bushy 1/9" twist will shoot from 52 grain to 69 grain with super results, but a 77 grain just won't hit the mark....just too heavy for my 1/9"

I see you mentioned the trigger. A single stage factory trigger in a stock AR can be less than satifactory. I'd like to recommend the Rock River two stage match trigger to you. They can be found used here from time to time...I bought mine for about $60 dollars. It really did improve the accuracy, as the trigger is absolutely predictable now.

Good luck with your black rifle!!!! :cool:

·
Registered
817 Posts
Bear Tracker,

You should look into the adjustable Jard trigger for your AR. I installed one on mine and man is it sweet. They come in different pull weights and are adjustable for take-up and over travel.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I polished mine up myself. I liked my M&P's, but my first one was a POS, that had to be completely taken apart and reassembled by someone more professional than S&W seemed to be at the time.

If I get another AR, it will be one with the piston uppers. AR accuracy with AK reliability, whats not to love ?

·
Premium Member
5,427 Posts
Bear Tracker,

You should look into the adjustable Jard trigger for your AR. I installed one on mine and man is it sweet. They come in different pull weights and are adjustable for take-up and over travel.

Another to consider is the Rock River match two stage trigger. I've got that set up in my 10 year old Bushmaster A2 shorty, trigger is beautiful!

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I prefer the the direct gas to the piston, shot both before I bought, I like Stoners design best. Just a preference.
To each their own I reckon. I've always been amazed that AR's even work, with that whole poop where they eat issue. I guess I'm permanantly damaged, from the issues I had with my M&P. Loose barrel nut, canted gas tube, leaking carrier key, and the list went on.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Nice shooting!

I see you mentioned the trigger. A single stage factory trigger in a stock AR can be less than satifactory. I'd like to recommend the Rock River two stage match trigger to you. They can be found used here from time to time...I bought mine for about $60 dollars. It really did improve the accuracy, as the trigger is absolutely predictable now.

Good luck with your black rifle!!!! :cool:
+1 on that Rock River trigger. It makes the rifle.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
go to m4carbine.net and search around '07-'08 for M&P stuff. Its when they were bouncing back and forth between Stag building them and S&W building them in house. QC was a nightmare, and they refused to fix mine. I sent mine to GotM4 from that forum, as he is an armorer, and he got it running again. The leaky carrier key was from an improper staking job, which stag was known for. Ofcourse, Im guessing you didnt know Stag built the first M&P's ? Now they have CMT parts in them, which is the company that makes parts for Colt.

My problems started, as it short stroking, unless you kept a white knuckle grip on it.

Here is my topic about the issue http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=3612 I ended up sending it to Rob after that, because it kept getting worse. Thats when he found all the issues.

I'm not a S&W hater, as I did buy a M&P15A last year. The QC on it was much better than the first.

Beartracker, if I can find it, I have a one piece gas ring that is still new if you want it. It looks like a key ring. It was something I bought trying to bandaid that first rifle.

·
Inactive
654 Posts
My buddy has the Smith and it is a reliable shooter, and pretty accurate, but for the money today, it is hard to not go with a gas piston designed AR. Just for the reasons you mentioned about pooping where you eat. That has always been the PITA with M4's. They are good weapons, but the gas piston design has really brought them up to date. Either way, most folks will probably not put enough rounds through the guns to really notice, but cleaning is much easier and the gun runs much cooler with a gas piston, and add a suppressor and it becomes very evident. Scotty

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.