Shooters Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
For Black Powder, muzzle or breechloader, I just wet a few patches with saliva to scrub the bore, followed by a couple of dry patches and one oiled patch, cheap and easy and I've done that for 60+ years with never a damaged barrel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not sure what gunk you have in your barrel. I have been cleaning my BP rifles with hot water and dawn for 30 yrs, works great. Step 1 Hot water/Dawn with a patch, then bronze brush, then HW/D until new patch looks clean. Step 2 Rinse with hot water, then WD-40 to help remove moisture. Step 3, I clean bore with Ed's Red (no acetone) until patch is clean. Last I wipe the bore with a Rust inhibitor/ penetrating oil . 3-5 days later I repeat step 3.
When I am cleaning up someone else's mess (did not clean after shooting for months or years), I soak barrel in hot water and dawn or plug barrel and fill with PB Blaster or Kroil, then use 0000 steel wool wrapped around a bronze brush to break things up (careful with the SW, lots of use could possibly harm barrel. After I can see the lands, I revert to above steps.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts