Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shooting is just plain fun!!  I've been going out with my father-in-law (Pop)  the past few weeks shooting everything from 22's to .338's and I feel like a kid again rediscovering just how much fun shooting really is.

No doubt sixguns bring the biggest smile to my face and I'd like to hear from you folks who shoot both blackpowder AND smokeless handgun loads.  Locally, I've found a small gun shop where I can order a Bisley Blackhawk for &#36352 or a Ruger Old Army for &#36325.00.  I plan on doing a lot of shooting this year to prepare for hunting the following season.  The subjective question is, which of the two would you choose for the most shooting pleasure (and why)?

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Alan,

I own both.... buy them both!   They are both great fun!

Seriously, the Bisley would give more versatility, and all around use... it just depends upon what else you have in your arsenal... if not a heavy sixgun, by all means get the Bisley.

Now on the side of fun, I love my Old Army stainless.   I've had it for nearly ten years now, and it's a great shooting piece and very accurate as well as rugged.   It shoots as accurately as any centerfire revolver I own.  It also appeals to me to own something that useful, that accurate and rugged and to think that it isn't even considered a firearm by Uncle Sam, ATF or most local yokals.   After all,  it's a blackpowder "gun"  it is no threat... hence no paperwork... a comforting thought in this day and age!

It is pure fun as well.   Cheap to shoot.  Accurate.  Rugged.  Not a real gun.  Effective.   They all sound like positive attributes to me!  If your state will allow it, and most do allow a lesser weapon during regular firearms season, the Old Army will certainly harvest deer and even blackbear within it's range limitations (which aren't much more limiting than other centerfire revolvers).  

I also happen to know an obscure bullet maker who has designed a bullet just for the Old Army with a .360" meplat that should cast out to around 245 grains that will turn those "non-guns" into something terminally awesome!  (I'm sure this is just a rumor however, probably not substantiated by anyone with authority to make such a statement)  I heard that these bullets would be available by mid-spring.

Food for thought.   If you don't have a good centerfire sixgun to shoot, by all means get the Bisley... if you can splurge for a very useful toy... get the Old Army!  If you're feeling really wreckless... get both!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
.360 meplat eh........!!!!!!

The only sixgun I have to shoot is a colt officer's model .38; it's fun and accurate but just a plinker.

In all honesty, I'm torn with the decision.  The BP route appeals to my traditional nature (the reason I hunt with longbows and handmade wooden arrows as opposed to shooting compounds and carbon arrows).  However, handgun hunting, with any weapon, would be a 50 yard max affair (which is nothing more than a self-imposed limitation).

Hmmm.......360 meplat........

·
Registered
192 Posts
Alan,

Stay the course, get the Bisley. After it becomes old hat than go ahead and burn some black powder. Of course if you can do both go ahead.

Are you going to need reloading equipment? The price of that smokewagon sure would set up a nice reloading bench. Trust me I've been there, its tough to pick just one.

Of course a nice lever action rifle to match your pistol would be nice, and how about a.........

·
Registered
47 Posts
It has been a very long time since I shot black powder, probably over 20 yrs. Right now I get a bigger kick (literally) out of my big bore handguns and rifles. Just this past weekend the weather was great, up in the high thirties to low fourties so I decided to take all my handguns out for a good romping. I set up a few steel plates, stepped back to 50 yds and beyond, and let her loose. I shouldn't even think about a new gun for awhile let alone different powder and bullets. I'm still trying to find a way to pay for my newest purchase without selling one of my other ones. Life is really rough!

God Bless

Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts