Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cartridge is .30-30, bullet is 130gr Speer hollow point, powder is 34gr of 748 fired in my Marlin 30 AW. The necks have alot of black on them. Anybody know what causes this?

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,503 Posts
Usually low pressure not "sealing" the necks. Not a problem unless you hate dirty necks.

The only thing that counts is how they shoot.

RJ

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,006 Posts
Where did you get the data? On the Hodgdon site, that's a max load for a 150gr. bullet. Almost certainly low pressure situation, given you are running a lighter bullet.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where did you get the data? On the Hodgdon site, that's a max load for a 150gr. bullet. Almost certainly low pressure situation, given you are running a lighter bullet.
Speer Reloading Manual Number 10. Starting load for 130gr is 31.5 gr of 748, max load is 35.5gr. They shoot very well.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
It happens with me often with my start loads that are at or near minimum. Does not matter what powders...they all seem to do it when I am starting out.

Sometimes I find that magic niche early and I just have to live with smoky necks. I always clean lube off of my cases after sizing, so I know that is not an issue with me.

Good luck and all the best.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,006 Posts
Found the same load in Speer #12. I'd gues that they ran out of powder capacity before hitting top pressures, but that's a guess. Anyway, you got it out of a manual and aren't at max, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Found the same load in Speer #12. I'd gues that they ran out of powder capacity before hitting top pressures, but that's a guess. Anyway, you got it out of a manual and aren't at max, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Yeah, thanks Mike, that's how I'm gonna go. The load shoots really well in my rifle so I can definitely live with a little extra work cleaning up the case necks. Thanks to all for the replies. 340ka

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,395 Posts
Speer Reloading Manual Number 10. Starting load for 130gr is 31.5 gr of 748,
That manual was published in January 1979, so 42 years ago....
The powder isn't the same, and the pressures won't be the same as was tested. Food for thought.

Cheers

Reactions: Kosh75287

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Probably is a bit low pressure but on low pressure in cast loads if is obvious. Black neck and extends down to the shoulder. Just some of the neck being black doesn't bother me but getting it down on the shoulder is ugly! I had the problem first time many years ago. Wife decided to reload some for me while I was at work, she used plenty of case lube and I had a bunch of Dented shoulders to blow out. It was a 7mm Mag and I used a below min load, terrible recoil! Tried pointing the gun in the air and it stopped the recoil but blackened the neck. It happens!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Probably low pressure as others have said, not too serious of a problem. Using data from old manuals can be a problem. Lyman 50 gives 35 gr of 748 for a 125 gr. bullet. You're probably safe, but buy a current manual [or 2].

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That manual was published in January 1979, so 42 years ago....
The powder isn't the same, and the pressures won't be the same as was tested. Food for thought.

Cheers
Wise counsel. Thank you. Time to get some current manuals.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Cartridge is .30-30, bullet is 130gr Speer hollow point, powder is 34gr of 748 fired in my Marlin 30 AW. The necks have alot of black on them. Anybody know what causes this?
You are using a load about in the middle of the data listed ... the pressure may not be sealing the neck ... hence the blackened neck . Make sure you are using a magnum primer with this powder ... in fact if you are not using magnum primers that may be what's causing the problem ... use the same load with a magnum primer and see how they do ... I bet the black necks go away .
My data is from Speer #14 dated 2013 : 30-30 Win. - 130 gr. FNSP , 748* powder (* magnum primer)
31.2 grs. start - 35.5 grs. max.
Gary

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Sounds like you reduced that charge too much.. 34 grains is max for a 150 grain bullet in the 30-30

·
Registered
74 Posts
I use quite a bit of Win 748 in bolt 223 and even 308. Good powder. However, 748 seems to burn a bit more "dirty" than other extruded pellet type powders. Dirty necks are pretty normal for that powder. Smoky necks give good indication of how the cartridge is sealing when fired. On perfectly turned necks, the smoke will form a perfect ring a tiny bit back from the front edge which usually gives great accuracy. But on worn brass or uneven brass or loose chamber, smoky neck might be uneven or even have smoke on the shoulder. If accuracy is acceptable, every thing is ok. High pressure would probably seal the neck better than low pressure. 30-30 is a low pressure round, but a very accurate round out to 150 to 200 yards.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,395 Posts
However, 748 seems to burn a bit more "dirty" than other extruded pellet type powders.
Well 748 isn't an extruded pellet type powder, so maybe that's why it's different.😉😉

It does have that "dirty" quality, but that's a good thing.
That heavy but loose sooty fouling it has, is a by-product of the Tin compounds which fight copper fouling. 748 has been fighting copper fouling, since before anyone thought to charge for marketing that claim.😁

Among the non copper cleaning extruded powders, which appear to be "clean burning"; you'll find the extreme series of powders from Hodgy. Those particular powders, use coatings to help with their stability; in the originally designed-for application. The side effect of those coatings and the "clean" appearance, is the creation of "Hard Carbon" fouling. Nasty bit of business really..

Anywho, there is no free lunch.
Keep your khakis clean, but fight hard carbon.
Or look a bit chimney sweep-esque, during a quick clean.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 22 Posts