Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, all. I was looking thru Brownells and found that the wide, low superblackhawk hammer was listed as a SBH part, but all other parts seemed to be common parts. Does this mean I can convert my NM Blackhawk to a SBH hammer just with the hammer? Or would other parts need replaced too? And of course, if someone has done this conversion, does the hammer fit the slot in the frame, etc, or is it a big job I should forget about attempting?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, thanks for the fast reply and the good news. The hammer, for those interested, is stock number 780-012-040 and costs $24.74 from Brownells

·
Banned
61 Posts
We've done a couple of these. My pard's late '80's era Blackhawk .45 accepted a swap from an unused SBH of about the same era. But my '200th year' Blackhawk .45 gave misfires and light primer strikes with a brand-new stainless SBH hammer. It took considerable file and hone work on the safety table of the hammer to get the ignition reliable. Other shooters that I know have not had a similar problem, but the new hammer required a new trigger job in a couple of cases. Parts from different eras may have minor differences in dimension that make 'drop in' a not-so-simple deal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I did the exact opposite and put a blackhawk hammer in my super. The super hammer came down too far and got caught under the webbing of my hand.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts