Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as I like to hunt Alaska, my favorite hunting is Blacktail / Muledeer crosses. The area I hunt (Tellyalater Mountain!) is an area where the range for both the Blacktails and the Muledeer interlap. So they get crossed up. What you end up with is one smart deer. The Blacktail is notorious for living in the "Jungles" of Western Washington and may be one of the hardest of all the deer to hunt. I don't have any experience with Whitetails, so can't make a fair comparison. I know these guys are very hard to hunt. The Big Bucks tend to stick to the steep Northsides of ridges and come out to feed at night. Your only hope is to find an area where they are crossing and sit tight. Washington has moved the season up earlier so it's almost impossible to get them during the pre-rut. They are crossed with Muledeer so they end up with these heavy, narly, eyeguarded racks. I just digum! I've taken 3 nice ones and have found where another is living. That's no gaurantee, except that he'll probably make an idiot out of me!

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Another nice photo from JoelB

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is a picture of a guy who got a big Hybrid this year from the area I hunt in. Notice those big eyeguards. The rack was almost black. Big buck too. He ended up getting a huge 6 pt bull too, the day after his wedding. Can't beat that!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is my first big Blacktail. There was a time when I was an avid smoker! I've since given the habit up...

This buck was the result of a lot of hard work. Taught me about perseverance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts