Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 300 Win Mag 900 Meter bench rifle. It was custom built on a 700 Rem action by E. Landers to shoot targets at 1000 yds. It has a free floating barrel with a custom long range twist glass bed in a laminated walnut thumbhole stock with an adjustable Multi-stage target trigger. Mercury recoil suppression, and 32X Utl scope.

I would like to use this weapon for theatrical purposes in a short film I'm in - which I portray a rooftop sniper. Do you where I can get blanks or knows of a good recipe for reloading a blank for a 300 Mag that won't cause a low pressure blow up?

·
Beartooth Regular
650 Posts
I'd try 30 grs. of 231 to start and go up from there to suit. After putting the powder in,  take a tuft of cotton, just enough to hold the powder in, and tamp it in place.

I currently use 22 grs. of 231 in a .30-30 blank and it is noisy! In the .45-70 blank, I use 45 grs. /231 for even more noise and flame!

No doubt other powders willl work as well . . . bullseye,
Red Dot, Unique, etc. but I shoot a lot of 231 so I use that.

John

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John,

Will off the shelf cotton balls do? What about using an 1/8 inch candle wax plug?

·
Beartooth Regular
650 Posts
Misiolek,

I use a sheet of dental wax which is 1/16" thick to seal the end of my .30-30 & .45-70 blanks.  I just push it over the case mouth with my thumb and the end of the case cuts out the wad. This stuff is pretty tough and does not desintegrate like candle wax might.  Email me your address & I will send you a small sheet to try.

I just checked the capacity of a fired .300 Win. Mag case and it holds about 65 grs. of W231 to the base of the neck. If you use the dental wax, I would raise the starting load to 37 grs. or so to cover the flash hole when the shell is in the horizontal position.  The other option is to start with 30 grs. and raise the muzzle prior to firing.

A cotton ball is fine.  Probably only about 1/4 of it would
be required - just enough to push through the case neck
and expand to hold the powder in place.

Good luck!
John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts