Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone slugged the barrel on a BLR '81 lightweight in 358 Winchester? The choices for Beartooth Bullets in 35 caliber are .358, .359 and .3595. Which one is best and how fast can it be driven?

Thanks in advance,

NITRO

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Most of those BLR's in .358 have been slugging .3580"-.3582". Those barrels are VERY Uniform! However, throats tend to be a little on the large side in diameter, measuring .3595"-.361" (Depending upon the chambering reamer), yet while being generous in diameter the throats are pretty short as a general rule.

Best bullet diameter, without specifically slugging your gun, would probably be .359"

Too, beware that the 250g LFN, while a great bullet will be too long for your .358 Win BLR, as the throat is short, and your case neck isn't long enough to contain the bullet without the gas check protruding below the neck base. Best bullet choice for this application would be the 210g LFNGC.

Velocities will be limited by the cartridge, not the bullet, as those 210g LFNGC's I push to something just over 2800 FPS in my Whelen, with sub MOA accuracy!

Let us know what you find!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Marshall,

Thanks for the info. I am ready to make another buy of Beartooth Bullets and will take your advice and order the 210 grain in .359".

I am also going to order some 250 grain FNGC for my new Marlin 1894S with ballard type cut rifling. Will the Marlin with a rifling twist rate of 1 in 38" stabilize the 280 or 290 grain FNGC bullets?
According to your writings you recommend .432" bullets for Marlins with micro-groove rifling. Does that hold true for ballard type cut rifling?

In addition, I am going to start shooting cast bullets in my 1906 6.5 x 55 Swedish mauser (Husquavarna). Should I get them in .265" or .266" diameter?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hi Nitro

Just a word or caution....you might well want to slug that Swedish Mauser barrel rather than guess. I have a Carl Gustav 1898 Swedish Mauser(short version w/ turned down bolt) which measures .268 in the grooves or a little bigger. Not sure about Husqvarna but my gunsmith told me these larger bores are common on these guns. He suggested a custom mold, which I intend to investigate when I get some cash. Save your slug for the mould maker if you go this route. I have been told he may want to look at it. Also, don't know about Husqvarna, but these guns are legendary for extremely long throats and for having to seat the bullet WAY out to get good accuracy. Mine does pretty bad with factory Rem. 140's(seated short), even though the rifling is near mint and barrel recrowned. Looking forward to tinkering with it....no doubt seating depth and perhaps bullet diameter are at work here.

My other gun is a 356 Win. Have some of Marshalls .359 cal. 210's but don't know if I will have the time to shoot them in this lifetime, or the Swede. A 2 and 4 year old ruin alot of your old recreational habits, though new ones open up. 200 Gr. FNGC's from RCBS have worked great for me also.

Dave S...if you read this.....resend your last email amigo. I lost it. Thank you for the lead source. Will try again to drum up your address on this site. Take Care, Chris

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
6.5 X 55

Hello Chris,

I have heard of other European 6.5mm's, especially the Italian Carcano, that slug as high as .269" or .270". I will take your advise and slug the barrel.

I made an error in the spelling of Husqvarna but made an even bigger error describing my Swede. It is a Carl Gustav and not a Husqvarna. I have another Swedish mauser that is an unaltered Husqvarna. I should have looked at the receiver ring before initating this post.

Get your 4 year old one of the little (tiny) youth .22's like the Henry and take him/her to the range with you. I have two girls (no boys) that I started out shooting when they were 5 years old. The younger daughter took to it like a duck takes to water. She is now 30 years old and can outhunt and outshoot most men, especially on the sporting clays range. The other daughter, age 33, does not care for hunting but handles her Glock 23 pretty darn good.

Sorry I got a little off the subject. Now I am going to open my tackel box and see if I can find some .270"-.280" lead sinkers, some lithium grease and slug the barrel.

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Nitro,

Yes indeed, do use the .432" in that Marlin, even with the cut rifled barrel, and yes even up through the 325g bullet weights that gun will stabilize the bullets. The 280g WFNGC and .290g LFNGC's are probably your most efficient bullets for that gun however.

enjoy, and God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
440 Posts
Will do Nitro. I already have a Savage "Favorite" on layaway at my local gunshop. I have fond memories of a Single Shot 22 growing up and hope my sons do too.....had an Ithaca lever action/martini which I shot up the Arizona Desert with. I didn't know it when I ordered it, but I was sad to learn the Favorites are now made in Canada(no offense to our Canadian shooting brethren up north....I just hate to see our gun companies heading to other places for higher profit). I should turn it back in and order up the Henry in protest....still thinking about it.

Let me know how you do with those 210 gr. LFNGC's from BTB. Have some 356 Win. loads for this bullet but no 358 Win.. Should be a real great number. You could anneal the noses for Deer as I understand it, but have never tried this.

Will email you off list about what I have found out about the Swede. It is a fine little gun, and MUCH stronger than anyone once thought. Take Care and good shooting, Chris

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Buy American

Chris I also "Buy American" whenever possible and bought the "made in japan" Browning BLR in .358 Winchester because Marlin no longer makes the 336ER in .356 Winchester.

Today I was reading an article about binoculars in the Septemper 2003 issue of "GUNS" magazine. They were testing $200-$400 8X products from Nikon (Japan), I.O.R. Valdada (Romania), Pentax (Japan), Steiner (Germany), and Leupold's Wind River (Japan). What wasn't surprising is that there were no American made binoculars tested. What was surprising is that Leupold offers a product that is made in Japan. I always thought better of a company that continually claims "MADE IN AMERICA". I hunt and target shoot with Leupold scopes but now I am not completely sure if they are 100% American made.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,146 Posts
Nitro,
The scopes are made in the USA, only the binocs are imported.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts