Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope some one can help me with this one.  Have a BLR '81 that fires factory loads just fine, but won't fire handloads.  Am using small base dies, micing each case, setting lengths to factory.  The lever is hard to close, rifling marks show on the bullet, but the primer is barely dented after pulling the trigger, won't fire.  I've been told it is a headspace problem, but am unsure how to proceed.  I have tried re-adjusting the dies several times.  Any suggestions appreciated--would it help to go to regular dies?  Thanks-Karl

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Karl,

It sounds like the hard closing lever is due to the bullet engaging the lands.  Perhaps the bullet engagement isn't enough to keep the cartridge from moving forward in the chamber when the firing pin hits the primer in the event of a headspace problem.

Adjust your dies, so that when you size your brass, the case neck isn't sized all the way down to the shoulder area. (smoking the neck with a candle prior to sizing will help with this fine adjustment of your dies)  Once sized without the sizing die touching the shoulder, your case should chamber easily, and yet still be fit to the chamber.  Thus sized, you souldn't have headspace problems with your BLR.

Let us know if this does the trick!

God BLess,

Marshall

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Marshal- thanks for the quick reply, please advise how to adjust the die, i.e. should I adjust so there is room betwwen it and the shell holder when the lever is extended?  Thanks Karl

1 - 3 of 3 Posts