Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a puzzling problem.  Just finished some handloads for my 81 Model BLR .30-06.  Done to factory specs using a small base die.  H4350, WLRP, Hornady 190.  This is the first time handloading for this rifle, factory loads worked fine.  At the range, pulled the trigger--no fire.  It looks as if the primer wasn't hit hard enough as the crater is about half as deep as a fired round.  I also noticed that I could see where the bullet had touched the rifling.  It chambered nicely, not too tight.  Any suggestions?  Thanks-Karl

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,441 Posts
If the bullet touched the rifling, there is a chance that the lever didn't fully close.  I'd guess that there probably is some sort of safety mechanism that is supposed to prevent firing pin strike unless the lever is completely closed and locked.  You could be just a few thousandths too long.

Haven't shot a BLR so take this for what it's worth.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does it fire with factory ammo?  If it does, get a Wilson case gage so you're sure that the brass is of propper dimension.  I too had this problem with a set of small base dies -- the wilson gage showed me that the shoulder to head length was too long.  After that, all brass i squeeze with those dies gets checked.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike bal - Yes it does shoot factory loads fine.  Thanks for the info, I'll pick up a Wilson guage.  Thanks-Karl

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mike bal-Searched town and the internet, couldn't find a source for the Wilson case guage.  Where did you get yours? Thanks-Karl

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the help but I finally found out what the problem was. I bought a new RCBS auto-prime and looks like I seated the primers too far in!!  I guess I should have started with the obvious!  Now all I have to do is figure how much hand pressure it tales to properly seat the primer.  As always I appreciate the help I get from you other shooters as well as Marshall for having the best website for shooters on the web!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!       Thanks again-Karl

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, Karl:
  If you're still interested in a case gauge, Lyman have them for &#3617.50 US and Forster did make them, although I don't see them on their site now.
<a href="http://www.forsterproducts.com/Pages/main.htm

Bye" target="_blank">http://www.forsterproducts.com/Pages/main.htm

Bye</a>
Jack

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jack-  I am not sure exactly what a case guage would do for me but definitly the primers are seated too deep in the case.  Think I will try redoing that first.  Thanks-Karl  

·
Registered
471 Posts
I've never had a problem with primers being seated too deeply.  In fact, in my opinion the primer should be slightly crushed in the pocket, which should yield the "lowest" primer possible.  I use a Lee Auto-Prime and feel each primer after seating to make sure it's seated below flush with the case head.  Seating primers deeply insures that the legs of the anvil are firmly seated against the bottom of the pocket.  In the last 15 years that I've handloaded, I've had exactly 5 occurences of what you described, and these all occurred within the last month or so in my Marlin.  These I blame on dirty primer pockets, hence primers not getting seated deeply enough.  I rarely clean primer pockets on a regular basis anymore since that operation has never seemed to make any difference in my handloads.  My theory is that in this instance some of the firing pin energy is expended in "seating" the primer completely.  Could this be your problem as well?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think i got the WILSON case gage from Midway, several years ago.  Lyman makes them now too.  There are 2 scored areas: on top(neck), which tells you case length is too long, & on bottom (head) tells you shoulder needs to be set back.  I believe Brownells also sells them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mile bal and all;  Well got the problem fixed, just pulled back the hammer on a dud round, it fired and everything works just fine now.  Still perplexing though, must have been in the firing pin.  Anyhow thanks all for the help.  Karl

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, Karl:
  You may have had a primer that wasn't fully seated. The first strike dimples it and pushes it in the rest of the way and the second strike fires it. Happens to me when I don't tug on the old RCBS Jr's handle enough.  Sometimes giving the case a half a turn and a second tug gets the tight ones in. That's a very old trick.

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jack- This didn't happen with just one round, it happened with reloads using new cases as well as once -fired cases.  Once the first reload fired after a second hit be the firing pin, all the others functioned perfectly.  It leads me to believe that the primer was either stuck or had something not allowing it to function correctly.  That said all works perfectly now.  Thanks for all the suggestions guys.  Karl

1 - 13 of 13 Posts