Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased the "New" Browning BLR '81 "Lightweight" in 358 Winchester and noticed that it is also available in 270, 7mm, and 300 WSM and the 450 Marlin. Does anyone have one in any of these calibers? I am interested primarily in one chambered in 450 Marlin because pointed bullets, like the Barnes 300 and 350 grain x-bullets, can be handloaded to a cartridge OAL of 2.80" as opposed to 2.56" and the requirement of flat-nosed bullets dictated by the excellent Marlin platform.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can't tell you about a 270, or 7mm, but will tell you about the ones I have had. I bought a 7mm-08 BLR for my daughter (left eye dominant), and it is a sweet rifle! Shoots well, and can use the pointed bullets, as you pointed out. It is sensitive to overall bullet length, so I have to seat the bullets a little deeper than the max overall size. I have also owned a BLR in a 30-06, and again, was pleased. I sold it to a friend who wanted it more than I (I did replace the gun with a Ruger .308 : - ) )
Anyway, the BLR is a legitimate platform, certainly accurate enough for hunting, trouble free, with a removable clip. I would not hesitate to buy it in the larger calibers if you are a lever gun kind of guy!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts