Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wanted to ask about the blue box of ultramax or ultramag 44 magnum 240 grain scw .I never seen any sort of box art like that before it looked antique but i know its knew ammo . It has a real ... artsy look to it dont know the word . ive seen now they come in a orangish-red box . so i guess the blue box in old production run - its this load right here but blue box instead of red

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=198619

i like the box art but i here the lead is to soft and to weak of a load for hunting

·
Registered
483 Posts
Nobody else has answered your question, so I'll give it a try.

i wanted to ask about the blue box of ultramax or ultramag 44 magnum 240 grain scw .I never seen any sort of box art like that before it looked antique but i know its knew ammo . It has a real ... artsy look to it dont know the word . ive seen now they come in a orangish-red box . so i guess the blue box in old production run - its this load right here but blue box instead of red

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=198619

Since this ammunition is aimed (sorry) primarily at the Cowboy Action Shooters, who like to dress up in 19th century costumes and shoot 19th century firearms, it is just good marketing to package it in antique-looking boxes. But you are right -- it is currently manufactured.

The Ultramax website shows boxes in red, orange, and blue, but I could not tell what the significance of the color is.

Not sure what you meant by "240 grain scw" -- was it "swc"? (I'm fluent in typo, too.) If so, that is a semi-wad cutter bullet, with a large meplat (flat point), tapering to a narrow, full width, square shoulder that will cut a clean hole in a paper target. Ultramax lists it in their standard handgun section, not in their cowboy line.

i like the box art but i here the lead is to soft and to weak of a load for hunting
I have no experience with Ultramax ammunition, but I suspect their cowboy loads are assembled with soft, swaged lead bullets. I think soft lead bullets are required by the rules of Cowboy Action Shooting (to save wear on their targets, prevent ricochets, etc.)

Soft lead bullets cannot be loaded "hot" -- pressures can rise dramatically and accuracy suffers -- but in mild loads they are much like what was actually used in the 19th century.

There are better loads available for hunting today, but those cowboy loads are certainly capable of killing soft-skinned game. However, the 240 grain SWC bullet at 1360 fps in their hangun line would be a much better hunting cartridge than the 240 grain cowboy load at 750 fps.

If that doesn't answer your question, ask again -- someone who knows more about these loads will reply.

Good shooting,

The Old Guy

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah you helped thanxs by the way . i type fast so i have alot of errors lol . i just managed to get about 38 rds so far that should last me few weeks .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts