Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Just curious if anyone has used either of these powders for .44 Mag with cast bullets, in the med velocity loadings(900-1100fps), and what your results were.

Thanks,
John

·
Beartooth Regular
2,139 Posts
I've never tried 800X, but Blue Dot works well. A little dirty burning - but that may have improved, since many of the Alliant powders are now cleaner burning. When I used it, it was made by Hercules.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I have been using Blue Dot for 240 gr Mid-Kansas SWC ands WFN with mixed results. Both the 1894 and the SBH seemed to like the low velocity of my Green Dot and Universal loads better. The 1894 is going to be lapped before more lead is used. The SBH is just me. I just can't shoot accurately with loads much over 900 fps.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Zeppelin! said:
44mag, there is only 1 choice, Hodgdon H110. :mad:
No plinkin for you with the 44 ah Zep. I understand but us wooses have to keep the pop down to hit the target but I am getting better. "you gonna pull those pistols or whisle DIXIE".

·
Banned
1 Posts
I've used 800-x since I started reloading 44 mag, and love it. Burns cleaner than blue dot and I have accurate, reliable loads.

·
Registered
96 Posts
jpsw44 said:
Hello All,

Just curious if anyone has used either of these powders for .44 Mag with cast bullets, in the med velocity loadings(900-1100fps), and what your results were.

Thanks,
John
John,
I have used blue dot with lyman bullet 429215. My loads were fairly heavy. They did lead a SMALL amount. But the bullets were lubed only with Lee Alox. I believe lube in the grooves also would have eliminated that. Would I recommend blue dot. YES.

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
John,

Although many will tout the virtues of Blue Dot, I too have found that 800X is much cleaner burning, yields overall better shot-to-shot uniformity in my loads and has proven to be an excellent mid-velocity powder for the .44 magnum. However, I've found where it shines the brightest is when loading 265-325 grain bullets. In fact, one of my better, more reliable loads for the BTB .44-280g WFN bullets, both plain based and gas checked is using 800X. The only down side to 800X, is that it's relatively large flake size virtually demands weighing each charge by hand, and not using a powder measure, as it doesn't meter well. Too, using a simple powder dipper alleviates the problem as well.

Go for the 800X, and you won't be sorry.

God Bless,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts