Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.
    I'm thinking of rebarreling a rifle. It is a blued/walnut gun but I want to put a stainless barrel on it since I am positively paranoid about rust. Unfortunately I have pitted the bore in a chrome-moly barrel and do not wish to repeat the experience. However, I hate the look of a stainless barrel with a blued action and walnut stock.
     Short of one of the high dollar teflon-type finishes is there a way to make the stainless barrel look blued? I want to put the bulk of my money into barrel quality, thus I'm looking for a process that wouldn't cost more than regular blueing. Any ideas? A friend recommended Rustoleum.....   ID

·
Banned
554 Posts
Bully IDShooter!

Although stainless rifles only make me wince nowadays, it's a mystery why manufacturers don't simply "blue" the stainless steel and call it a victory.  

No sane person is "against" having a rifle of rust-resistant steel.  The objection is against wandering around with a chrome wand.

You might want to try Gun Kote:

http://www.kgcoatings.com/gun-kote/

Regards,

Charlie

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,312 Posts
Considering that it's for a hunting rifle... and you wisely would rather spend money on a quality barrel than cosmetics.... I think I would go ahead and just paint it.  Why not?  You can always strip it off later.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The conventional bluing processes simply won't work on stainless steel.  You can drop one in the bluing tank, it will come out shiny as ever.  Spray paint would be the cheap solution, or you could have the whole thing bead-blasted to give it a non-glare look.
Good shooting
Mark

·
Beartooth Regular
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. I remember reading that the first Remington 700's in 7mm Mag had stainless barrels that had been blackened. I don't know for a fact that this is true, but I was thinking if Remington could do it in the '60's why not now? I wish I could remember where I read that. It was before I was "computerized" so must have been in a book or magazine, maybe a reloading manual?  ID

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Remington still offers blackend stainless steel guns from their custom shop so they still do it.  If you want a perfect match I'm afraid your going to have to bite the bullet and have the whole rifle finished.  Birdsong's Black T Teflon finish is fantastic and last forever.  I had my 77 .458 done over 15 years ago and it still looks like new.  Sure it will cost you aroud $250 or so, but it will be money well spent if you want the rifle to match in color.  The Black T is a beautiful matte black color and is also a heck of a lot more rust resistant than stainless steel.  But, they cannot coat the inside of the barrel so the inside will still need some care as I'm sure you know, if neglected, even stainless steel can rust.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,312 Posts
I just read Layne Simpson's article in the current Shooting Times (May 2002) on the Rem 700.  He reports that at one time, Remington copper-plated stainless barrels, then did an iron (or steel?) plate on top of that.  The top layer would take bluing.

Don't know whether this matches their current offerings or not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
hi ,i have used brownells alumahyde and bake on flat black spray paint on a few guns,it works great ,easy too do and holds up well even with gun cleaners and oils.the alumahyde is probrably the easier of the two too work with as the bake on has too be put in your oven for 1/2 hr too cure.(wife still p.o. lol).really looks pretty good ,just my 2cents
keep on bangin boys,don

1 - 8 of 8 Posts