Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided on a 12ga personal defense scattergun to leave on my boat at the coast. Now, deciding on which one. Mind that it will sit in a foam case hopefully for the rest of its days with me, So its is Price vs. shootability.
Mossberg
Winchester
Remington
Maverick
Foreign import!

There is always the possibility of Davey Jones Locker for its final resting place! so Suggestions Pleeze!

Thanks to everyone. th fish :) :)

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,225 Posts
Cheapest chrome-plated pump that you can find. I believe that Winchester actually makes one along those lines, for the purpose you have.

·
Banned
97 Posts
I like the Remington 870 Marine Magnum..triple nickle plated for corrosion resistance..a safety with a lock & key..few people are going to argue with a Remington 870

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 870 Marine is a tough gun. I used it in Hawaii for several years and it took a pounding with the salt air. You can't go wrong with that gun.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
The 870 Marine Magnum would also be my gun of choice. In fact the 870 is my shotgun of choice for any duty. Even though they're cheaper, stay away from the 870 Home Defense and Expresses. The factory finish is useless for rust protection. Spend the extra dough on the Marine Magnum.

I'd also suggest the addition of a Side Saddle ammo carrier. It will allow you to have an additional six rounds on the left side of the gun's receiver.

Are you concerned with piracy and drug smugglers stealing the boat, or will the shotgun be used for more peaceful purposes?

·
Banned
556 Posts
Depends on your boating.

If you're staying in the States and will own it awhile, I'd get the shotgun that has the most corrosion-proofed parts.

If you're going to cruise the islands outside the US, I'd get the cheapest model. It's likely that you may have to toss it over the side before entering some ports.

Either way, get one that stows well. Like a fire extinguisher, you never use the thing.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
I have a close friend who just purchased the Mossberg for the same reason. The shotgun is all stainless and made real well.

it has Iron sights and a rifled slug bbl....$360.00

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
The trouble with rifled barrels is that they ruin your shot capability. If one plans on slugs only, they're great. But with buckshot the rifling tends to spread the patterns quite a bit. I once tried an extended rifled choke tube with two kinds of 00 buck. At 10 yards patterns were something like 20-25% larger than with an Improved Cylinder choke tube in the same barrel.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Get the mossburg. They make a nice pump with a short barrel for $179.00. Get it coated which will cost you $300 and you will have an impermeable shotgun that will never rust. You can still use it for close-range birds or game and 00 Buckshot will slow down the most determined unwelcome intruder. The coating is used by the SEALS for their guns. It ain't cheap but it will outlast your ownership of the shotgun.

·
Registered
214 Posts
You can't go wrong with a Mossberg 500 or a Winchester 1300. They're both very fine guns and they wont empty your wallet. I've seen either of these models for under $170.

WF30-06

1 - 10 of 10 Posts