Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any real advantage in using boat tails rather flat base spitzers for 200 to 500 yard shots?
Does Accuracy at long ranges depend on how a flat base or boat tail behaves in a particular rifle?

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
There is an advantage in ability to fly straighter in a wind so wind eddies and switches are so expensive to the score sheet, but for hunting there's no benefit unless your rifle really likes them.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I was thinking the same as was posted. For long range yes.but other no.

·
Registered
11,931 Posts
Agree with Jack, unless the rifle shows a preference for a boattail I generally don't use them. Think you need to be shooting at ranges over 500 yards to see a marked difference in hunting performance. For me 500+ yards and hunting is seldom used in the same sentence. :D

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,410 Posts
1) Is there any real advantage in using boat tails rather flat base spitzers for 200 to 500 yard shots?
2) Does Accuracy at long ranges depend on how a flat base or boat tail behaves in a particular rifle?
All good advice so far.
1) Depends on what you are looking at for "accuracy", but as has been said not really. Where I shoot, my 308 launching a Berger VLD at the same speed as a Hot-Cor shows a drop difference of something like 2".
2) It always depends. Some barrels don't like boattails as well as flat base bullets. The crown can really play into this as well. There was a thread some years ago, I think by Kdub, talking about this.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
The best use for a BT that I ever found is seating bullet's when reloading. Bit of a dent in a case mouth? No problem, BT bullet on the way.

·
Banned
168 Posts
Soooooo much easier to load ! I just wonder how many bench rest competitions shooters use boatails ? I would put my money on boatails.....

OH and another thing less drag less velocity loss ! less bullet drop ! Flatter shooting...

·
Registered
11,931 Posts
Soooooo much easier to load ! I just wonder how many bench rest competitions use boatails ? I would put my money on boatails.....

OH and another thing less drag less velocity loss !
I would guess most competitive shooters use boattails. Most of those guys have well sorted out pieces that weren't subjected to an assembly line or a lifetime of mishandling or neglect. Think joe average will find no accuracy loss and maybe improved terminal performance with flat base bullets.

I would also guess there a lot of boattails sold because of the sleek shape and high BCs rather than being more accurate in a particular rifle.

·
Banned
168 Posts
I would guess most competitive shooters use boattails. Most of those guys have well sorted out pieces that weren't subjected to an assembly line or a lifetime of mishandling or neglect. Think joe average will find no accuracy loss and maybe improved terminal performance with flat base bullets.

I would also guess there a lot of boattails sold because of the sleek shape and high BCs rather than being more accurate in a particular rifle.
Well think of it this way if there wasnt an advantage all bullets would be flat base RIGHT ??>??

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Traditionally, flat base for BR and BT for long range, but Nosler upset that applecart with the Solid Base which has a short, steep boat tail and they won some BR matches. The hot BR bullet was the Speer 52 gr HP Silver and Gold Match and they had a very sharp-edged, flat base.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
It has been my experience that when shooting boat tails, the crown of the barrel had better approach perfection. This is not to say that flat base bullets will shoot well with a bad crown, but rather tend to deflect to a lesser degree when exiting the bore.

·
Banned
168 Posts
Well if you take nosler,hornady and sierra the vast majority of there selections are boatails !

I am guessing here,,,, but i will bet 90 percent of there selections are boatails now thats pretty telling !

Myself i shoot alot of 5 shot groups and occasionally i will try a flat base but i always end back to boatails and thats over a 40 year period !

My best 5 shot group ever was .181 inches @ 100 yrds with a 52 gr Amax, a boatail bullet!

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Bullet makes SELL bullets. Boat-tails and snipers and 'tactical' and long-range is all the rage. Of course they're going to make BTs. It used to be that Sierra was the only one with 'ordinary' BTs. Hornady has always had some slippery long-range match bullets but Sierra had most of the market.
Nosler jumped in with the Solid Base and then the original Ballistic Tips and then the 'tactical craze' hit BTs sell the best. Who wants to be old fashioned?

Reactions: Bong Son Buck

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Soooooo much easier to load ! I just wonder how many bench rest competitions shooters use boatails ? I would put my money on boatails.....

OH and another thing less drag less velocity loss ! less bullet drop ! Flatter shooting...
I'd read some where years ago that bench rester's were getting away from them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
A lot of good advice here. It depends on your rifle. My old .243 loves 85 grain Sierra Boat Tails. My 7 mag shoots them like a shotgun, but is deadly with an old fashioned blunt nose 175 grain Hornady. Let the rifle be your guide. They are all different, which makes this so much fun!:)

1 - 20 of 66 Posts