Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

What lubrication should I use on my bolt action center fire rifle bolt lugs?

Here is what drove me to ask this question. Long ago in a far away land, I cleaned one of my .30-06 bolt rifles. I had a new gizmo that said I should use it to clean the recesses in the action where the bold locks up to the receiver. A rod with a felt wiper that fit into the action like a bolt and wiped the receiver clean. It worked. So I put some gun oil on and went to the range to check zero. At the range, firing factory ammo, I had hammer the bolt open. Whew, I didn't like that!!!! Several of the guys at the range looked things over, even shot my ammo in their guns and no one could come up with a reason why. I went home and after some thought I put just the slightest amount of gun GREASE on the bolt lugs and worked the empty action several times. Next time to the range, no problem with bolt lift.

So, what do you guys use?

·
Premium Member
15,045 Posts
White LubriPlate or red Shooter's Choice. Put a dab on the cocking cam and extractor cam, too.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,159 Posts
IME, lubricate (white grease) is too "fluid" as in when it gets hot it turns to "oil".

A good #2 EP or extreme pressure grease that has molybdenum disulfide in it works well in all weather situations. If you don't slather it on like shaving cream you won't notice it when it's below zero, yet it doesn't "fluidize" when it gets hot. Like in those "They are coming right for me!" attack situations when in pursuit of the wily ground dwelling rodent.

You'll notice the wee claymore in the left paw of the larger prairie dog? PHEW! Good thing they can't read.

RJ

Reactions: rojkoh

·
The Shadow
7,888 Posts
So I'll give you a two part answer.
A) Mostly I just use a wee bit of lubricant. I mostly clean with E.R., so that gets used.
B) The only time I've noticed what you are speaking to, and needed some quality grease (moly as RJ suggests); was when I had horribly uneven lug contact. A simple lapping job took care of that issue.
Honestly don't recall the name of what I use, but it's a tiny danie bottle of something like "weapon lube".

If you want a quick and simple lapping trick, cost the lugs and corresponding portion of the receiver with JB Bore paste. Sit down to an episode of your favorite show on the boob-tube, and chuckle the bolt.
Clean thoroughly, and you're off to the races.

Cheers

Reactions: MZ5

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,113 Posts
My "go-to" lug and bolt lube is Gunslick graphite moly lubricant in a small squeeze tube. A little dab on the lug faces, the bolt cam and Mauser extraction does wonders.

Reactions: SGW Gunsmith

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,660 Posts
I'd bet any decent wheel bearing grease would work just great for lugs, cocking cams, etc. Probably have a couple of centuries' worth out in the garage for gunsmithing use, if I never greased another wheel bearing again.

Reactions: bsn

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
The M1 gets a reasonable facsimile of what the Army specified, where the Army specified it.

My bolt guns get whatever lube I'm using on them. I've put actual grease on them before, but I've also just used Frog Lube or 'gun oil.'

·
Registered
347 Posts
I guess I fall into the K.I.S.S. camp,... I just pray and spray Rem oil, or some Ed's Red everywhere, before taking any weapon to the range,... wipe off the excess and let'um fly!

:giggle:

·
Registered
978 Posts
I've had this container of Lubriplate since around 1977. Used it on the bolts in my 40-x's and on some of my other rifles as well. I also use a synthetic grease called super lube. Both are used sparingly with just a film on the parts.
I should get a couple more yr's out of that little grease pot.
20201130_150457.jpg 20201130_150457.jpg

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
My "go-to" lug and bolt lube is Gunslick graphite moly lubricant in a small squeeze tube. A little dab on the lug faces, the bolt cam and Mauser extraction does wonders.
I like that "Gunslick" in the toothpaste tube also. The one I have is getting to the point where it's getting hard to squeeze it so it will give up anymore grease. Brownell's used to carry it, but I haven't found it there for quite some time.
I also agree, a very slight smear of that Gunslick on the receiver and inside face of the bolt lugs will prevent galling of those mating metal contact surfaces very well.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Have any of you found a ‘gun grease’ marketer who even knows, nevermind will tell you, what the base oil viscosity of their grease is? I haven’t, so would be glad to know of one.

·
The Shadow
7,888 Posts
Pay no attention to the man behind that curtain!
;)

Reactions: MZ5

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi,

What lubrication should I use on my bolt action center fire rifle bolt lugs?

Here is what drove me to ask this question. Long ago in a far away land, I cleaned one of my .30-06 bolt rifles. I had a new gizmo that said I should use it to clean the recesses in the action where the bold locks up to the receiver. A rod with a felt wiper that fit into the action like a bolt and wiped the receiver clean. It worked. So I put some gun oil on and went to the range to check zero. At the range, firing factory ammo, I had hammer the bolt open. Whew, I didn't like that!!!! Several of the guys at the range looked things over, even shot my ammo in their guns and no one could come up with a reason why. I went home and after some thought I put just the slightest amount of gun GREASE on the bolt lugs and worked the empty action several times. Next time to the range, no problem with bolt lift.

So, what do you guys use?
I use Lubriplate and have found it to hold up well. There are pothers similar but I have stayed with what works best for me. By the way, a little dab will do ya. Don't over lubricate.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Lubriplate (especially for semi-auto slides), Shooter's Choice...would add Tetra Gun Grease.

Who is going to get a 30-06 so hot they'll melt the grease? Little dab of your Brylcream supplied by the manufacturer will prevent that from happening.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Been shooting for almost 60 years and never had to hammer a bolt open from using just about any oil that would pour out of a can onto a rag. The Russians used anything they could drain out of a crank case during the war with Germany and it worked fine for them. Maybe I'm just a lucky Russian.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,660 Posts
Bayonets not dependent on lube quality, generally.... ;)

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Several of the guys at the range looked things over, even shot my ammo in their guns and no one could come up with a reason why.
Brave guys at your range.

I use a tiny dab of a red moly bearing grease on the lugs and camming areas of the bolt. Never had a problem with any of my many bolt guns.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My old Model 70 must just be loose. For 40 + years, I have used whatever 'GUN OIL" WAS HANDY, WIPED ON, THEN OFF AND CALLED IT DONE. ONLY REQUIREMENT WAS TO BE CLEAN - NO GRIT.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts