Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi can someone have a look at the bolt assembly on their 336 ss and tell me ... is there suppose to be a pin in the top of the bolt at rear, to the left hand side. new rifle and only had it out a couple of times, looks like there should be a pin ?

·
Banned
199 Posts
I just went and got my new 336C35 for a look. It has a hole at the back of the bolt, top to bottom, in the Right Hand side as you look towards the muzzle. No pin. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
There is a pin, folks. It is a roll pin -- that's why you can see through the hole. It holds the rear section of the firing pin in place.

·
Registered
2 Posts
bolt pin

I have a 336 sc with the bolt pin on the right rear and the pin is in place , you cant see thru the area,
go figure
grottolord

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Well, it could have been replaced with a solid pin at some time in the past. If so, the roll pin does have some advantages -- that's why Marlin used them, I'm sure -- but it's no big deal.

OR the roll pin could be clogged with a piece of crud. Pretty easy to stick a straight pin in there and see.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm certainly not an expert but my older 336 from the 50's has solid pins, and roll pins in the newer ones from the 70's until now, not sure when the change took place.. The rear firing pin will fall out if there is no pin.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts

Roll pins fit tighter and do not shake loose as easily as solid pins. As Pisgah said, roll pins are better but it's no big deal.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
No, it's not really a big deal. Solid pins, well-fit, can be fine. The roll pins have 2 advantages, but small ones -- their springiness keeps them in place under vibration, and they are less prone to shatter under repeated impact. I'd expect a lifetime of use out of the solid pin, maybe a lifetime and a half on the roll pin. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts