Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I primed about 250 .44 Special cases with large rifle primer as opposed to a large pistol primer?

What are my options?
1) load them with a light load and cross my fingers?
2) resize the cases to punch out the still hot primers? Is this safe?
3) shoot the brass with primer only?
4) anything else.

I know this was a true bonehead move, but I know that someone else has done this in the past. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
9,503 Posts
From a pure safety point of view, no one is going to tell you to punch out the primers and start over....but I will (but you really have to be careful). IF you GO SLOW, easing the primer out of the pocket by very slowly moving the case up in the press, won't have a problem. But i'd still tend to shield the press a bit ( got a bit of sheet tin?), wear eye protection, and keep all the powder/spare primers well away from the bench. Save the ejected primers for use in rifle loads that aren't life-or-death (like fire forming loads, of tin can plinking sessions)...may have a higher "dud ratio", so burn them up where that won't upset you too much.

Problem with shooting them is as follows:
1. They usually sit a bit higher, and tend to occasionally hang up cylinder rotation.
2. Firing pin strength on some guns isn't enough to reliably set them off.
3. The primers set back more violently. which can lock the cylinder's rotation.
4. It can do odd things to pressure.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
If you follow Ribbonstone's directions,you should have no problem removing those primers.Iv'e done hundreds;I'm a slow learner.
Frank

·
Banned
490 Posts
I am also a primer deprimer and have removed thousands of live primers from brass I wanted to sell after breaking down reloads for guns I sold. I do not recommend it, but I have never had a problem doing it. Wear safety glasses, gloves and long sleeves, use a gentle touch, and I always put a folded towel over the top of the press. I have never had one go off.

BUT, if I were you, and if the primers are seated flush enough to avoid binding the cylinder, I would just load them up with a light or mid range powder charge and shoot 'em up. They will go bang just fine and not be a problem as long as you are not approaching maximum loads.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,406 Posts
I'd try a handful with light loads and see if your gun will set them off. If so.... that's what I'd use them for.

Depriming 250 cases sounds like work, shooting sounds like fun!

If you are going to deprime, do it slow, and carefully, as recommended.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I'd shoot them. LR primers are quite a bit hotter than LP primers, so you'll need to stick to midrange loads.

As Mike mentioned, your gun may not set them off, as generally LR primers have a thicker cup than LP primers.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Pushing live primers has never been a problem for me.

Rifle caps in a wheel gun is safe enough - or can be if you load down for them - but the incidence of failure-to-fire may be high because of the thicker cups.

Rifle caps are a tad taller than pistol cups so the possiblity of a slam-fire in an auto loader will be higher. I wouldn't do that!

·
Registered
7,864 Posts
I agree with the others - shooting them sounds like more fun than decapping. BUT! IF you choose to deprime them, for my part I've never had one go off. Just take it slow and easy and.........

- If you have a press where the primer arm slot can be turned: turn it away from you.
- Spin the shellholder around so the side where the case slides in is away from you.
- Wear safety glasses or goggles and keep your face back (or at least not directly above the die).

I don;t know if a primer going off inside a decap die would cause any spray or anything going straight up above the die (because I never had one go off), but I wouldnt want to take any chances.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Deprime them! I've done it thousands of times!! I had gotten a 5 gallon bucket of range pickups (Military)! Many hundreds of live rounds! I demiled them and deprimed on a single stage press if you use a multi stage press be carefull as you don't have the same touch as with single stage. Run your thumb nail over those cases I'll bet you don't have flush primers! LR primers are taller the LP!

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Whatever you do, mark those rascals right now if you have not already. Make sure you identify them where you will know what you have 100 years from now. I never include enough info when I have to set aside something that I intend to do something with later. Lately that include something I need to know 1 hour from now.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Take 'em out slow and careful... And hopefully you still have the proper trays to put them in. Do NOT just toss them in a can or a jar. I know that likely didn't need to be said, but I thought it best to say it anyway.

·
Registered
263 Posts
If you decide to deprime them, all the above suggestions with one more. Take a large plastic coffee can and cut a gap out of one side so it will fit over the die and press. It will give one more layer of protection on the remote chance of a primer letting go. If one does go examine the can and replace if you think it is damaged.

This probably will not be your last mistake. I am glad the result is only aggravation and the loss of a few primers.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I've had primers go off while vacuming and a few that dropped into the slot in the ram and hang up in there causeing them to go off raising the ram to remove them I have never experienced any damage to either.I would do as I have severwal times in the past with depriming live primers,use good eye protection and go slow and easy.I have never set one off while depriming.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I'd load them as well.

I'm with Mike, shooting sounds better than potentially hot metal and gas in my face and reloading room.

I would especially not worry about them in my SBH or SRH.

·
Registered
429 Posts
1. load them light & shoot. you might have to run the cylinder around more than once to get the heavier rifle primer to fire.

2. if you de-prime (been there, done that) go slow and wear hearing protection also. the odds are that one of them 250 is bound to go off and muffs will make you less jumpy when working on the rest.

I see the original post was over a week ago. How did it go, AK shooter?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I almost blew up my wifes $1200 kirby with a Magnum LR primer. It scared the **** out of me. Flames came out of every crack and hole in it. She still does not know it happened.

AL

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Oil isn't reliable, neither is water, several tests have been done in numerous magazines, and I've heard a former CCI engineer talk about primers.

The only 100% sure way to deactivate the primer is to put the case in the firearm and fire it.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,406 Posts
Yeah, I have tried to deactivate primers with WD-40. Didn't work.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts