Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, since I asked for this, I'll go ahead and try to start. The Book of the Rifle by Jim Carmichel has been my standard information source on rifles since its publishing. This book to me is by far and away the best book I have read covering all aspects of the rifle. This book is much more detailed and exploratory than O'Connor's Rifle books and is more comprehensive than his predecessor.

21 chapters, 555 pages, Carmichel covers everything from types of rifling and process to shooting positions and bullet performance on game. He has tons of experience in the hunting fields worldwide, taken most of the game animals of the world, was a Hi-Power competition shooter, gunsmith, custom rifle maker and manufacturing design consultant. The man knows of what he writes. And he writes very well. This book is not only informative, but entertaining as well, in a style only Jim possesses. He is very down to earth, points are to the fact and any suppositions are based on years of experience.

I would grade this 10 out of 10.

Attachments

·
Banned
18 Posts
Definitely second this nomination, Alyeska!!! I've had this book for at least 15 years, have probably read it completely 4-5 times, and paged through it half a dozen times every year. I have a pretty good shelf of rifle books, and this is all you say it is--- THE comprehensive , detailed yet easy to understand coverage of the rifle.
It sounds like this "Books " section is your brainchild; Thanks for thinking of it and getting it on for us.

Regards from NW Montana

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have to say its been a good read so far. I'm on page 221, starting CH. 10. It's not really been what I'm looking for but it has been informative.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts