Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a book on reloading yesterday at the gun show.
For me it will be a reference book of great proportions.

It is; "Complete Guide To Handloading" by Philip B. Sharpe Published by Funk & Wagnalls, Copyright 1937.

It has a tremendous amount of information about the differences between case types.

Thechnical information, balistics charts for factory ammo, reloading data for many different cartridges. Both smokeless and black powder data.

A list of all the factory ammo loaded in 1937 with black powder.

A comprehensive disertation on casting, with detailed information on resizing and lubing of bullets.

Plus much more information than I can even imagine.

I highly recomend this book for those that, like me are interested in the history of reloading, and reloading older cartriged that are not usually found now adays.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,461 Posts
That is an awesome book! My dad has the second edition. Wish I had my own copy.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Phil Sharpe's book

I bought my copy of"CompleteGuide To Handloading"back in the early 50's,when I was just a Beginner at both shooting and handloading.
For basic,comprehensive information,it is as good as any book that I've ever heard of.
I still refer to it. Just last week,I looked up some data on gunpowder
Just be careful of the recommended powder charges for loading cartridges. Some of the powders,that are still made,are more potent today. For safety's sake,back off a little,from the max charges.
Frank:cool:

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Sharpes book is a good one.
For those looking for any used gun book check the Advanced Book Exchange or ABE. They are a world wide web of used book dealers. You will not only save money but books you thought were rare will be found in quantity.
Watch for T&R books from California, a very nice guy, I have purchased a number of shooting books from him. His specialty is Samworths and he has them in all conditions and price ranges.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,461 Posts
William, thanks for the tip. Do they have a web site?

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Yes,

I am not sure how to put a link on this but any search engine will pick them up with the search phrase advanced book exchange the only thing to watch out for is that you have the U.S. site. vs the UK site. The difference is the UK site has the same books with the prices in pounds and the U.S. site has the prices in dollars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts