Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Marshall and every one on the forum;Tomorrow I intend to "condition" my freshly firelapped Ruger NMBH .45 Colt. Your Technical Guide is outstanding .  
cyl mouth .4525
groove .4515 i never thought that a barrel could be so smooth.
I do have a couple of questions.

1. Is there any anvantage in recutting the forcing cone to     11 deg as some of the custom 'smiths advocate?
2. Is there any advantage to molly coating the bore or is       that just more hype by the gun writers?

Thanks in advance and I agree with some of the other posters, this seems like a good place to mingle with
knowledgeable,friendly and godly people

NRA Life Member
NMLRA Member

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Sorry to have missed your post earlier.

To answer your questions:  

The 11 degree forcing cone does have its merits, but usually shows the most improvement on factory finished forcing cones and barrels.   Once fire-lapped, I doubt that you would see any further enhancement of accuracy from your revolver by cutting an 11 degree forcing cone.   You've already done with lapping, and far more, than simply recutting the forcing cone angle could accomplish.

Now, about moly coating:

You're right about the hype!   We're merely "re-plowing" ground covered very thoroughly in the early 50's!   It's just that there are a couple of generations of shooter's who didn't get that bit of our heritage in their backissues of their favorite shooting magazine!   Although there is an immediate increase in velocity in most cases using moly coating in barrels and on bullets, there is a price!   If you'll read in Precision Shooting and some of the online benchrest websites, the boys that shoot those awfully tiny, disgustingly small groups at absurd ranges, are finding that moly is a cumulative type lubricant, that builds up a film in the barrel of a gun which is nearly impossible to remove uniformly!   The problem arises when this stuff builds up, then starts to "flake off" (for lack of a better term).  It does so, but not uniformly, thus making the barrel of varying internal configuration... something the shooters in the 50's discovered over 40 years ago!   The old story, what's old is new!  

"The only thing new, is what we don't know about history!"

Hope this answers your questions!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Marshall,

Thanks for the info, In falls in with other info I have gathered.Last week I was visiting a friend who is  a gunsmith and the conversation turned to molly, He is a NRA Hipower High Master, and his group tried molly for a while but discontinued it except in the extreme hi-velocity
hi pressure guns, they decided it wasn,t worth the trouble.

after seasoning my bbl I was pleasently surprized how much the groups shrank, from 2.5" to 1.25" @ 25 meters and no leading, infact a couple of patches with Kroil cleaned the bore almost spotless after about 400 rnds of cast ranging from 700fps to 1350fps. all 300gr+.

Thanks again for your help, I'll be ordering some of your HCGC 45 and 44 bullets as soon as I return from Wyo in late June.

NRA Life Member
NMLRA   Member

God Bless and take care

1 - 3 of 3 Posts