Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shooting my levergun enough,now,to be concerned about damaging the muzzle with the cleaning rod.
With all the thousands of these guns around,there should be a bore guide available for one.
Does anyone know where I may get one of these? If not,what do you do to protect your bore?
Thanks,
Frank

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,324 Posts
Assume this is a .30-30?

OK here's a cheap muzzle protector.  Find a .243 / .257 / 6.5x55 case at the range.  Cut off the case head, leaving most of the body.  Slip this over the cleaning rod, neck toward the cleaning jag.  The neck of the case will fit inside the bore, and the rod will fit in the case (assuming a generic .22 cal cleaning rod).

Make sense?

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike,
Thanks,I had been aware of that option,as well as the cone shaped bushing that can be placed on the rod.
You reminded me that I should be using that ,right now,while i am looking for something better.
Frank

·
Beartooth Regular
2,146 Posts
Kragman,
    I've been looking for the same thing. It seems to me that someone should make a brass cap that fits over the muzzle of the rifle with a .29" or so guide hole in it so that the rod can't touch the rifling. Heck, to get fancy we could even fit it with a rubber o-ring inside to grip the barrel to protect the bluing and keep the thing from popping off easily as you pull your brush back out the muzzle. I can't believe, with the number of these rifles out there, that no one makes one. But if they do, I can't find it!                                  IDShooter

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hello,

About 10 years ago, I bought a RIG brand stainless steel rod.  I came with a bore guide built in...very well made rods...have one for my pistol also.  They were not bargain priced but are so well made I never expect to have to buy another.  Hope this helps....being as you guys are crafty reloaders there is probably a cheaper solution, but thought I would mention the RIG rod's.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Go to Brownell's they have Dewey Rod Guide/Guard brass guide with protective O-Ring. &#364.95

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
1st time I have edited a post. I learned a valuable leason. If you want you can contact by e-mail DAN-LIN Sports at [email protected] They have a wide selection of this type of thing and are very knowledgable and great people to deal with.

(Edited by Chief RID at 5:39 pm on Jan. 31, 2002)

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm finally getting to realize the complexities of a simple thing like a muzzle guide.
The bore guides that are placed in the chamber, present no problem because the chamber is big enough in diameter to allow the loaded jag to pass through. On the other hand,you cannot push a loaded jag through themuzzle guide. You must place the guide on the rod,load the jag,and place the patch into the bore. then you slide the guide up the rod and into the muzzle of the gun. Then you push the rod down the bore. When you return the rod,the first thing that happens is that the guide comes out of the bore,and is no longer of any use,until you start the process all over.
The acorn guides that are sold by Dewey and others are probably as good as it gets.
I have to find out what the muzzle guide for the M1,and other military rifles look like. Maybe they have a "claW" arrangement to hold the guide against the muzzle while the rod is pulled back out.
Frank

·
Registered
45 Posts
Kragman
 Have you tried the thing that looks like a piece of rope?I think they are called GUN BORE CLEANER.I got one back a few years ago when they were produced by National Tech-Labs  in Boise, Idaho. Since I shoot cast lead bullets exclusivally  and dont have to worry about copper fouling ,I've found them to work for me.I think the idea of using a cut-off 243 case and a243 rod is as slick as an idea that you an get.Some people are so practical!!
  tbc

1 - 9 of 9 Posts