Shooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
201 - 210 of 210 Posts

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,579 Posts
Believe it or don't but I have a circa 1979 788 that has over 12,000 rounds through it. Olde Granny can still put 5 in under an inch at one hundred yards from a cold bore.

RJ

Reactions: MusgraveMan

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
On that statement I would hate to be a jackal in SA, if there are any left.Had a 22-250 for many years which killed a load of foxes and roe deer and was still shooting sub moa when a game keeper made me an offer I couldn't refuse and he shot far more so fluufy things than I ever did and probably still is.
You will never eradicate jackal by shooting them - but of course I should have added that the same guys do the shooting of blesbok and springbok for the European meat market.

Sheep farmers are reintroducing caracal - or rather allowing them to proliferate as the sheep they catch are lesser in numbers than the numbers of jackal they kill.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Recoil Junky, it is obvious you did the right thing caring for your rifle to get that many rounds and it still keep up.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
Ozhunter - you're asking for something of 9 years ago? Yes, as I recall, The info was published data. Now ask where it came from. At 82, I can't remember what I read last week, let alone 9 years ago! :eek:

Reactions: Darkker

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
interesting you say to clean my rifles when accuacy tails off. i always thought i should clean my rifle after every session at the range no matter if i shot 5 or 50 shots? am i wrong in doing this? does doing that constitute improper cleaning? what exactly is impoper cleaning?
Not as far as some folks are concerned. Using a good cleaning rod, sized to the proper caliber will never bend in the bore during use. The synthetic solvents available today are better formulated for firearms than what was only available years ago. If folks would follow the directions on the bottle/can of what they buy, you'll never ruin a bore by cleaning too often.
Leaving a barrel fouled after shooting is not something I prefer to do either.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Not as far as some folks are concerned. Using a good cleaning rod, sized to the proper caliber will never bend in the bore during use. The synthetic solvents available today are better formulated for firearms than what was only available years ago. If folks would follow the directions on the bottle/can of what they buy, you'll never ruin a bore by cleaning too often.
Leaving a barrel fouled after shooting is not something I prefer to do either.
When I clean the bore of all my .22 Caliber rifles, even my .22 center fires, I use a .17 caliber cleaning rod of proper length, with a .17 bore brush. I wrap a proper size cleaning patch around the .17 brush saturate with cleaner and run through the bore; after which I run a few dry patches wrapped around the .17 brush until they come-out clean. This method of bore cleaning on .22 (.224") and rim fire, and works fine on tight bores like CZ's Model 452 rim fire rifles. I make it a habit to clean all my rifle bores, after shooting, even just a few shots.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
In my shop I use Dewey coated steel cleaning rods in several sizes and lengths. I have not used a rod in a .22 rimfire bore for over 25 years now. Beginning with the introduction of synthetic formulated firearms cleaning solvents, the need to scrub .22 rimfire bores is not needed if a regular cleaning routine is performed. What's regular? To me, it means after each shooting session. It's a very simple and easy method to just pull one or two of these EEZOX soaked felt plugs through the bore and let the solvent do what it was intended to do, then dry the bore and lightly oil same:

I've found that this process causes no harm to the bore, gets it very clean and the bore looks good when using a bore scope, so with that I know it's working well.

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,318 Posts
In my shop I use Dewey coated steel cleaning rods in several sizes and lengths.
I have not used a rod in a .22 rimfire bore for over 25 years now.
😁:LOL::ROFLMAO:

201 - 210 of 210 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.