Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NEI makes a really neat looking 350 grain GC'd bullet mold, that has a bore riding nose. Their number is 458-350-GC. It looks an awful lot like some of the LBT designs.
The bore ride bullet molds I have are for my 375 Whelen, and they work like magic, but that's a bolt gun.
Are there any opinions out there, that there would be an advantage to using this design in my Win 1886? I'm currently shooting a Saeco 350 GC and it does a great job with RL7.  Is there enough accuracy in a lever gun to notice any difference?
Jim

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Jim,

That NEI bullet you specify in your post is indeed an excellent bullet, and in your Winchester 1886 it should shoot like a million bucks, but were that bullet to be used in a Marlin Micro-Groove model .45-70, results would be dismal to horrid!  The shallow groove rifling is of the wrong dimensions to lend any support to that nose-ride bore of the NEI bullet.

Any advantage over the Saeco bullet you're already shooting?  I sincerely doubt it!  That particular 350 grain bullet you already are casting is an excellent performer in a broad cross section of guns (here again not so in the Marlin Micro-Groove barrels, the new Ballard Style Cut Rifled barrels though it's excellent).  Save your hard earned cash on more powder and primers instead of a bullet that will only duplicate the performance that you've already acheived!  We've even considered cataloging the .45-350g Saeco bullet in our lineup... it's that good.

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Marshall
I also have a wonderful 445 grain Lyman bullet mold that I've been using for a lot of years in my Siamese Mauser. I've shot it in the Winchester with heavy loads of IMR 4064, that cresent butt plate beat the fire out of me. That's why I shooting the lighter weight Saecos.
I'm getting to be a weinie in my old age
Again thanks
Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts