Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a gunsmith supposedly bore sight the scope on my 336 (35 Remington). It didn't hit anywhere on a 2 x 2 ft board @ 20 yards. I'm going to get a bore sight and do it myself. I've been looking online for a bore sight but I've yet to see a bore sight specifically for a 35 Remington. Am I understanding correctly that a "30 caliber" bore sight will work on my 35? Appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
497 Posts
A 35 caliber spud will work; Most laser boresight kits have multiple, adjustable, spuds, and will fit anything from 22 to 20ga. shotgun. Some even have spuds for 17 at one end, and 12ga.+ on the other. They can be had for about $35 through mail order outfits.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
A couple things you can do yourself. I've tried the laser bore sighters, but did not have great luck with them. I have had one or another of the collimator with changeable studs type bore sighters for some 25-30 years now and they have worked well for me (see link)

With your Marlin 336 you can also simply remove the lever, bolt and ejector and use the old tried and true method of sighting thru the barrel and mating up your scopes crosshairs with what's centered in your barrel at 50 yards. Place the rifle, sans bolt, in a cradle and simply go back and forth between looking thru the scope and looking through the barrel while adjusting the crosshairs until they match up.

Disassembly of the 336, taking the lever off and bolt out takes about 3 mins. Reassembly another 3-4 mins. (link below)

Collimator:
Academy - BSA Bore Sighter Kit with Arbors

Video of disassembly:

Marlin 336 Disassembly Pt1 - YouTube

Reactions: StretchNM

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Boresighters

Don't waste your time. Get a big piece of virgin cardboard at 25 yards and binoculars. Take one shot at something like a clay pidgion or pop can & have a spotter tell you, "you are 2 feet right & 1 foot low" WHATEVER, And don't be afraid to spin those scope knobs like crazy, until you get on paper

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
I do it by eye just as tnhunter describes. Then I start with one round at 25 or 50, depending on how confident I was, and go from there.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Boresighting

It's about as accurate as ordering at the drive thru window, they rarely get it right. Do yourself a favor by starting at 25, then go to 50 or 100 if you are close & confident, you will save much time & ammo. I'VE zeroed MANY scopes with as little as 3 shots (yes lucky) and rarely more than 20. The most frustrated and ammo wasters I've seen start too far away (100 yards cuz some yahoo said it was bore sighted, then only move the scope 1 click at a time) and run out of ammo or their shoulder gives out before they are zeroed.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I used to bore sight by looking down the bore, when I was young and dumb. Sometimes, getting older is a GOOD thing. Those guys that you refer to, Nacho, are the same ones that will try to zero from the offhand, and with a can of beer in their hand. Am I right on that?

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Unfortunately, nope

Sorry to say but I see it ALL THE TIME by bad/impatient shooters from a bench at our club & they cling to the fact that someone told them it was boresighted & WILL BE on paper at 100, and IT SIMPLY ISN'T TRUE, & they refuse to accept any help or advice. At t he first shot it should be obvious that the gun IS NOT on paper at 100, but they persist on wasting ammo. You just can't help some people.

·
Registered
497 Posts
As I grow older, I find that I have less tolerance for stupid, than I used to. As they say, "you can't fix stupid!" P.S. The absolutely worst offenders are those ***** see-through mounts, they are almost impossible to get a zero with because of their height above the axis of the bore! There are MANY fenders and tool boxes that have been ventellated because of a combination of those d***n mounts and someone with the terminal DUM BA*S! The CLOSER to the bore axis that you get---the better, that's why I liked the old Weaver Pivot mounts, and the Pachmeyer LO---Swing. Wish they still made them.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Same here.

Hate those see-thru's, the worst of both worlds IMO. As for the beer drinking sighting inners, I've avoided alcohol & gunpowder at the same time since the early 80's, so if it's going on, I'm elsewhere. I'm not preaching and there's no Halo over my head (I even carried a flask of antifreeze when younger). NOW after hearing and using every lame excuse/rationalization, (it's only beer, I can hold my liquor, it's perfectly safe), I CHOOSE not to nor to be around those that do. I can WAIT the minutes/hour to imbibe.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Save the money on a bore sighter......

Put up a fresh big piece of cardboard, place a orange dot in the center of the cardboard, walk up to 10 yards and fire one off at the orange dot, then make an educated approximate guess on some adjustments. Back up to 25 yards and you should now be on the cardboard after the adjustments.

Shoot another shot hold on the orange dot from a steady rest. When you see where it prints, hold the rifle steady in the vice or sand bags, and align the crosshairs on the orange dot again. Have a buddy move the crosshairs to the hole. If done properly, your next shot will be in or near the orange at 25 yards. I have used this method for years and zeroed many rifles for friends in 3 shots.

Of couse after zeroing at 25 yards, back the target up to your desired distance and fire again to see if you need further adjustments. Just sayin'.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,121 Posts
What Tnhunter said. Just pull the bolt out and bore-sight it yourself.

I don't know what was done to your gun, exactly, but I sincerely doubt it was actually bore-sighted. I have bore-sighted many guns and have never failed to have one on paper at 100yards. While it could happen at 100 yards, possibly.... I do not believe it is possible to bore-sight one and have it off the paper at 25 yards.

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
See-through scope mounts sound like a good enough idea...until you actually try and use 'em. I think they are designed and marketed by anti-hunting groups! :p

Earlier this year I put a new scope on my daughter's 22 rifle. I set up a 4' square piece of cardboard at 25 yards and stuck a turkey silhouette target on it, to make it fun for her. I told her to aim for the head and squeeze. Her first shot wasn't far off, so we adjusted a little and she fired again. We couldn't see that shot, so I told her to shoot a third round. Well, the second and third shots made one very neat hole, EXACTLY where she was aiming.

Better to be lucky than good, sometimes. :)

FWIW - I've never owned a bore sighting system and doubt I ever will. It's just too easy to do it the old-fashioned way.

Reactions: nachogrande

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
Broom, How would you bore-sight a Remington 742, 760, 74,7400, 7600, or a Winchester Model 88 or Model 100, or Browning BAR and many, many more?
I grew up out West where a "rifle" meant a bolt-action. Since then I've become enamored with various single-shot rifles and have inherited a couple of great old lever-action guns as well.

If I were possessed of a slide, pump or semi-auto rifle, I suppose I would use the right scope base and rings, align the scope properly, shoot a 4'x4' piece of cardboard at 25 yards and proceed the same way I would with a rifle I can look down the bore with.

How do you suppose fellers sighted in those types of rifles before the advent of bore sighters? :confused:

Reactions: JBledsoe

·
Registered
497 Posts
Ammo was cheaper then. I never try to sway Old Liberals (not meaning you), Mother in Laws, or Jehovah's Witnesses! They're too set in their ways. I'm from Florida, and we use whatever we WANT to! As long as you can afford the ammo, go for it!, but I hope you get lucky, again.

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
Ammo was cheaper then. I never try to sway Old Liberals (not meaning you), Mother in Laws, or Jehovah's Witnesses! They're too set in their ways. I'm from Florida, and we use whatever we WANT to! As long as you can afford the ammo, go for it!, but I hope you get lucky, again.
HEHE! I like your style, Buck! :)

I feel pretty much the same way about vegetarians and tree-huggers, but for the record: When you know what you're about, luck ain't got nothin' to do with it. ;)

I haven't ever wasted ammo and load my own, but I can afford to put a round or two down the tube, now and again. For one thing, I didn't waste any money on a bore sighter! :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
If your dead set on using over under mounts...

when you hit paper at 25yd's keep it about the same distance bellow center that the axis of the bore is from your line of site. If your scope sits 3" above the bore and it hits center at 25 can you guess where it will be at 100? I also adjust the scope to the center of it's range of vertical and horizontal adjustment. Not all scopes are the same and a new quality scope I wouldn't center like this but a used scope no matter what brand I will. I don't particularly like the see-thru scope mounts but have used them. I just changed from one to a Weaver pivot mount which I like a lot better.
I have a Marlin 336 in 35rem and I just put on a Weaver peep site that mounts to the rear scope mount holes and it has a fire-site front sight. I like it a lot and for the 100 yd max range I hunt, I can keep it in about a 3" circle.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts