Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dropped string through barrel.

Folded bore snake at brush and soaked with Hoppe’s #9 (about 6 inches before and after the brush).

Pulled it through like advertised.

I am purdy impressed! I pulled a lot of crap out of that barrel in one quick pass.
I hand-washed in a bucket (am air-drying as I type).

Bore “looks” purdy good.

I have a few reservations on this technique though. The “BIG ONE” is that my solvent was NOT in the bore very long (time).
I have pulled a patch through the bore (wet with #9) and will let that stand until I get back to this.

How do you use bore-snakes?

Cheezywan

·
Banned
605 Posts
Just like you did. I use them on my .22's but I removed the wire bristles though. It was a bit of knowledge I picked up on Rimfire Central. No need for wire brushing on a .22LR. I DO, however, use it with my .22 Magnum. Those are jacketed.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Dropped string through barrel.

Folded bore snake at brush and soaked with Hoppe’s #9 (about 6 inches before and after the brush).

Pulled it through like advertised.

I am purdy impressed! I pulled a lot of crap out of that barrel in one quick pass.
I hand-washed in a bucket (am air-drying as I type).

Bore “looks” purdy good.

I have a few reservations on this technique though. The “BIG ONE” is that my solvent was NOT in the bore very long (time).
I have pulled a patch through the bore (wet with #9) and will let that stand until I get back to this.

How do you use bore-snakes?

Cheezywan
Lots of different opinions on the cleaning worth of using a Bore-Snake. Kinda like asking what's the best scope?? or perhaps also, What's the best bullet for..??? I have Bore-Snakes in every caliber needed for my entire rifle collection and I use them. Especially on rifles where the bolt is not easily removed for cleaning from the chamber end (as in lever guns and semi-autos) they are worth their weight in gold, IMO. I've watched a lot of folks running cleaning rods down the muzzle end of their rifles and plainly put, that ain't happening to any of my rifles:eek:. I do also use them in my single shot and bolt rifles.:D

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I use my Bore Snakes just like you used yours, Cheezy. I think they're terrifically handy, and I have them for all my guns. I no longer clean obsessively as I once did, so I find them about perfect.

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Allright. That is enough replys to know that I'm using about like I should. Hoppe's website does not offer much.

I pulled a wet patch through after work and it was not white when it came out!
Perhaps I need to pull the boresnake through "slower"?

Thinking of clamping my rifle to a fence post and tieing the end of the snake to a county truck. Eight hours later, I'm done;).

Serious though, it worked purdy well. This is my first.

Still thinken' about it.

Cheezywan

·
Registered
110 Posts
You can do this 1 of 2 ways for better results. (1)-Use a second snake(really they're not that expensive)and keep one for WET and use one DRY. (Not really wet but you get the idea, keep an ample supply of solvent on the wet one and store them in a bottle or platic bag). (2)-Use more solvent on the rear end of the snake, that way when you pull through solvent remains in the bore. The problem using this method is you'll ALWAYS have a solvent dampened bore, unless you also use a rod to push a dry patch through and that sort of is what you're trying to avoid. Although I have some good rods/guides etc., I still really like the snakes and have 2 for every bore except the shotgun as I rarely use solvent on that.

·
Registered
816 Posts
My experience with Bore Snakes is that they don't do a very good job of "cleaning" the bore as you have found out for yourself. They get the biggest portion of the crud out but don't leave the barrel as clean as a wet patch will. They are quite handy for field use and I take one along anytime I'm away from home on a hunting trip. They do seem to do a better job of cleaning in smooth shotgun bores as opposed to rifled barrels. I do use one in my semi-auto 22 rifle as I hate cleaning from the muzzle end. I use it dry to break the crud loose then pull some wet patches through followed by a couple of dry ones. For me they will never replace a traditional cleaning but they have their time and place.

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, I'm good with this. Boresnake is to be used as a "field expediant" tool. My first impression is that it is a good one in that roll.
I have for years, cleaned this particular 94 from the breech. Purdy easy really. Lots of screws to turn in and out though. I have been as kind to them as I could be with no harm.

30-30 Winchester is not particular hard to clean-up after. Kinda big/heavy bullet at modest speeds.

I'm "gun shy" of the smaller ones. I had to un-stick a broken one once.

Thanks for all your replies:).

Cheezywan

·
Registered
135 Posts
First time I ever looked at a bore snake out of the packet there was no way I was ever going to drag that prickly thing through my nice smooth rimfire BR rfle bore but using it on the 222 was another story where it worked fine removing most everythig back to bare metal.

Would be great for restoring the bore an old rife barrel with rust and slight pitting, but a bit too harsh for anything that shoots OK and has always been cleaned and lubricated between outings.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just curious, what would happen after using one for some time with corrosive copper / carbon solvents and one day it broke off leavig the brush section stuck hard in the middle of your barrel.

Noting that some / many of these sold on Ebay are also not genuine Hoppes products so the likelyhood of this happening gets better odds each passing day.

How would ya then get the prickly thing out of the barrel ? without ruining the shiny smooth bore preferred, perhaps with some caustic liquid that would dissolve the fabric core allowing it to be pushed out with a stiff bore rod, or hammer it out with a soft metal rod.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,712 Posts
I think the pull-through strength is from the nylon, not the copper bristles. Still, I wouldn't want to get one stuck....

If that happened, I'd plug the bore and pour it full of copper solvent. Seems like that might solve the problems?

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not as bad as one would think to "un-stick" one. Kinda scarry though.

Best to replace it before it gets worn out to the point of failure.

A straight pull through the barrel will get the most life from them. Tie it to a door knob (or similar), and "back away" in a slow, controled fashion to get the most life from them.

Still new to them. Learning.

Cheezywan

·
Registered
978 Posts
> How would ya then get the prickly thing out of the barrel

Wood dowel, that is what mechanics use to remove metal from metal without marring a polished surface.

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This past Labor Day weekend, my son and I “recycled” some old catalogs.

Soaked in water and bundled with twine like a “good recycler” would.

30-30 Winchester (model 94) got shot a lot. A mix of loads. Some cast lead, some jacketed. All hand loads. Other firearms and calibers too.

Personal preference is “to NOT foul” a bore with two types of ammunition. I did so this time with a smile on my face.

We “boresnaked it’ and called it good. Looks fine when held to a light.

I’m getting old and spoiled me thinks? Sure beats terring the whole rifle down!

I DON'T care much for cleaning boresnakes though.

Cheezywan

·
Registered
169 Posts
I slowly squirt about 1/4-1/2oz of Hoppes9 into the chamber with a syringe with barrel pointing down and either hold it down or hang it and let it drip dry. Run my boresnake down 1-2 times. Wipe it clean as I can with a heavy rag and then if I'm not shooting for a while, I'll put a single 22patch fold back double in the rear loop, wetted good with remoil. Oil or not I'll then start pulling the snake thru with a clean patch everytime till I get it clean enough. Since doing it this way I never directly wet the snake with anything but I still often scrub it good in hot soapy water. I also use a 204 cal snake instead of a 22cal, at least in my CZ's. They're tight and IMO the 204 is just right!

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I only use them for remote hunting situations, where I travel by horse or plane, and a gegular rod can't go easily. They should never be thought of as a regular cleaning tool. Too much crud, brass, etc left in the cloth.
just a poor way to clean, but it is easy to carry...so there is a tradeoff between quality cleaning and carry ease.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts