Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless today. I am putting a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 on as well. So did I make a good choice for a caliber? I'm in TN and hunt woods and field edges.

·
Registered
13,272 Posts
The 270 Winchester is the best deer cartridge ever contrived...by the slimmest of margins in many cases, but nonetheless. :D

With a good scope and the right ammo, factory or handload, you'll have the perfect combination of power, trajectory, moderate recoil and serious terminal performance. Congrats on making such a smart choice in deer cartridge.

Reactions: Abolt.270

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
Congratulations, now you are a MAN!
Finest overall caliber I've ever used.
I've got three of them, and love them all-

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
Not much I can add to what's already been said here. I own several .270s and actually also have a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 on top of one of them, a Rem M700 Titanium. I sighted in a friend's Tikka T3 light SS for him last year and it was a nice, accurate rifle.

Excellent choice for Tennessee whitetails! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Good for you! My first .270 came to me way back in 1979 and it was, and is, everything that Jack O'Conner said it was. Still my favorite standard cartridge of all time.

·
Registered
109 Posts
You made a great choice in picking a .270 caliber. You may have convinced me to get a .270 with this post because I would like a long range deer rifle. My 30/30 works great in most situations around here, but I may have an opportunity to hunt some field edges and desert mule deer this year. Sounds like a winner.....

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,729 Posts
My condolences.

RJ

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Hard to believe everyone is in agreement for once. The .270 is well suited for varmints-to big game. The T3 Tikka is very smooth and accurate and light, you might be a little surprised the first time you pull the trigger. The light weight makes for a sharp jab with calibers like the .270 at the bench, something you will never notice hunting.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Over the years, I've owned three .270's and all were very accurate. Still have my Ruger Model 77 MKII in .270.:)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Congratulations! I may be a little biased in my response to you because I only own a .270 win, but I did a lot of research on rifle calibers and found this one to be suitable for my needs. Either way, I think you've got yourself a winner and it should serve you well on your hunt :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The .270 will be great for where I am hunting in TN...fields and woods. I made my final decision after scanning over the ammo section of the local sporting goods store. Every ammo company had a 130 grain .270.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
One of the guys in our gun club took his 270 to Africa for plains game. he hunted with 140 grain Premium ammo. But he took a large eland (size of moose) and many antelopes approx same size as North American deer. His 270 slew all these animals without any problems at all.

270 has been a favorite for over 75 years and for good reasons:
- flat trajectory
- moderate recoil
- lethal strike power
- excellent accuracy in most rifles

Good hunting to you!

TR

·
I'am just here
869 Posts
The 270 is an outstanding caliber for just about anything in the lower 48 states - except for maybe moose, elk and dangerous bears. But then again, there are probably people that hunt moose and elk with the 270.

Sometimes I hunt whitetail deer with a weatherby vanguard in 270. Its a fine shooting rifle that gets the job done.

·
The Shadow
7,480 Posts
Every ammo company had a 130 grain .270.
I would go so far as to say, and mind you I'm not the worlds largest 270 supporter, THAT combo should easily kill anything you would ever find a need to hunt.

·
Registered
13,272 Posts
The .270 will be great for where I am hunting in TN...fields and woods. I made my final decision after scanning over the ammo section of the local sporting goods store. Every ammo company had a 130 grain .270.
I would go so far as to say, and mind you I'm not the worlds largest 270 supporter, THAT combo should easily kill anything you would ever find a need to hunt.
And if you step up to a premium bullet, like a Partition, TTSX or Accubond, in the 140 grain weight, you'll get the best combination of power and flat long-range trajectory. Handload one of these to find the right powder charge/seating depth and you will have optimized the effectiveness of a truly great big game cartridge.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts