Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been shooting right handed rifles my whole life and never bought a left handed one mainly because of the mark up .
Never seemed to have much problem with right handed bolt actions except for the bolt knob sticking in me while having the rifle slung over my shoulder .
Well I ended up buying a older left handed Mark V Fibermark with the Mcmillan stock for a decent price in 340 wby .

Havnt shot it yet but it feels so much more natural to shoulder and to work the bolt , makes me not want to buy another right handed rifle .
I was able to find some heavily discounted Norma 340 wby loads online for $49 a box so i bought 2 boxes .

I have a Leupold 6-18x40 VX freedom im going to take off my 338 win mag XPR and mount to the Mark V .
I like the XPR but will probably get rid of it since I have a left handed hunting rifle now .
Not sure if the Mcmillan is bedded or not but there is zero movement in the action or barrel in the stock .

I still have the floorplate and magazine from the Mark V deluxe I had which was a California made one and the Fibermark is a Japan made one and the magazine/floorplate is better on the Japan made Mark V . Im curious to see how it is on the new WY made ones .

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WELCOME TO YOUR BIRTHRIGHT
I have a EGW rail on the way for it , so all I have to do is swap over my rings and scope and get it sighted in . Also ordered a Bushnell laser bore sighter to help conserve ammo getting it sighted in .
The previous EGW rail held up to the 460s recoil so it should work fine for the 340 . The rifle has a brake on it but it appears to be a Gentry muzzle brake . Overall I really like how the rifle feels in the hands it being a lefty and how solid the McMillan stock feels as well . The serial # puts it at 1988-89' its in pretty decent shape , the recoil pad is a bit hard wouldnt mind having it replaced eventually .
The stock has some wear spots but the metal doesnt really . Looks like it was carried alot but not shot much .

its about time you got it in the "right" side!!!!!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Yeah I never figured it would make so much of a big difference .
. I might order a left handed Accumark in the future . Though now I feel like I might need/want a Benelli sbe3 in left hand .

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
I bought my son a Savage Model 10 FLP in 308 Win for Christmas one year. He is a lefty and while he can shoot rifles with the bolt on the wrong side, he definitely likes that Savage. With the right handloads, it is the most accurate gun I've ever shot.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
i'm right eye/left hand dominant and i only had one left action. it was a savage m116 with adjustable muzzle break in '06. i sold it and i forget what i've what i sold it for. the savage was accurate(little tinkering with trigger) but i got bored(in younger days).

the win m94(top eject) is my all favorite rifle. it fits and it points like a dream. i'm biased, the m94 was my first rifle.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought my son a Savage Model 10 FLP in 308 Win for Christmas one year. He is a lefty and while he can shoot rifles with the bolt on the wrong side, he definitely likes that Savage. With the right handloads, it is the most accurate gun I've ever shot.
I may pick up a Savage next year was looking at this one Savage Arms - 110 APEX HUNTER XP (LH) .
I like my magnums but really want a 30-06 to tinker with .
i'm right eye/left hand dominant and i only had one left action. it was a savage m116 with adjustable muzzle break in '06. i sold it and i forget what i've what i sold it for. the savage was accurate(little tinkering with trigger) but i got bored(in younger days).

the win m94(top eject) is my all favorite rifle. it fits and it points like a dream. i'm biased, the m94 was my first rifle.
Ive heard some old timers say a lever action is hard to beat for a lefty , I prefer the older style Winchesters like the 73' and 76' .
Ive read good things about the Ubertis I was thinking eventually getting a 1876 model and a 1876 in 44-40 to go with it .

·
Super Moderator
9,551 Posts
Learned to resperect the lefty problem...even though I'm a righty.

For more than a year, the only hunting centerfire I had access to was my college roommate's father's rifle. An old left handed Weatherby .257WM in the exaggerated "California" style of that time.

(really pretty rifle,even with the "over the top" stock style. Scope was one of the Weatherby "imperial" scopes...factory ammo of that time was certainly not underloaded.)

It really was the stock....even a .257WM will smack the bejesus out of your face on that rather abrupt cheek piece's reverse side. More like a 3/8ths" 1/2 round edge right about at the cheek bone..

Could adapt to working the "wrong sided" bolt...but not the stock.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,157 Posts
I've watched my Marine shoot lefty with a right handed action so much I'm used to it and it doesn't seem to bother him much either. I told him I'd get him a lefty rifle and he said he probably couldn't shoot the durn thing!

So, what's he do? Goes and buys a right hand RPR!

Kids 😖

RJ

·
Super Moderator
9,551 Posts
1.That stock is really "ambi"...doesn't care what side you hold it.

2. Once you get round #1 chambered....really doesn't matter.

3. So long as the ejected cases don't smack you in the face, which side it ejects isn't important.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Learned to resperect the lefty problem...even though I'm a righty.

For more than a year, the only hunting centerfire I had access to was my college roommate's father's rifle. An old left handed Weatherby .257WM in the exaggerated "California" style of that time.

(really pretty rifle,even with the "over the top" stock style. Scope was one of the Weatherby "imperial" scopes...factory ammo of that time was certainly not underloaded.)

It really was the stock....even a .257WM will smack the bejesus out of your face on that rather abrupt cheek piece's reverse side. More like a 3/8ths" 1/2 round edge right about at the cheek bone..

Could adapt to working the "wrong sided" bolt...but not the stock.
Lol that actually gave me a good laugh , I had a deluxe in 460 wby and after a few rounds I got a bit cocky and limp wristed the rifle and it almost flew out my hands and smacked me in the head .
I can shoot a right handed bolt action my main issue is we do alot of walking and spotting and the bolt handle just digs into me .
I've watched my Marine shoot lefty with a right handed action so much I'm used to it and it doesn't seem to bother him much either. I told him I'd get him a lefty rifle and he said he probably couldn't shoot the durn thing!

So, what's he do? Goes and buys a right hand RPR!

Kids 😖

RJ
I almost bought one in 338 Lapua last year but a few months back after I seen the price jump I didnt want one that bad .

I had for awhile contemplated buying a CZ 550 but when I looked at the 550 magnum the left handed model was $500 more than the right handed one .

I think the Weatherby will serve me well , I bought it kind of spur of the moment hindsight being what it is I wish I had bought a Leupold VX5HD when I had the funds .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts