Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the 33, and it definitely is not the original chambering, the barrel is marked 33wcf, but the serial number is from 1896. I still think it was a heck of a deal at &#36500, came with a box of cast  200gr FPGC bullets, and a box of formed brass. I am wondering if I can use H322 to load this as that and IMR4831 are the 2 powders I have on hand, other than some pistol powders. Going to try and find out what the original chambering was.
Dave Beeman

·
Banned
556 Posts
Check this group to see what you bought into...

http://www.rooseveltbrowninghunt.com/main.htm

(see esp. the "hunting gallery")

They don't seem to have a problem with the .33WCF handling game...

Best of luck with your new rifle.

-Charlie

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
Beeman,

Glad to hear you picked it up. The .33 is definitely not the original chambering. You may have to contact Winchester or the Cody Museum to get the scoop on your '86.

4831 would be way too slow for this cartridge, but H322 should do a decent job. The trouble is in finding a start load. None of my manuals nor the Hodgdon website show this combination. You may want to contact the tech folk at Hodgdon for suggestions.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Friends all....Winchester did not drop the the Mod 1886 until 1935. Case harded frames were dropped in 1901. I don't have the date that the .33 Win was put into production, but most records indicate around 1902. You really can't tell though....there were cases where early serial number blocks showed up on later production firearms. I have seen Mod 92's with early serial #'s show up with factory .218 Bee barrels.
Even if an early # 86 went back to the factory and a later barrel was installed, it's stilll Winchester "pure". Everyone is correct...check out the data at Cody. The firearm might have a interesting history! Keep us informed!
You have one heck of a new rifle!!!! Best Regards, James

1 - 4 of 4 Posts