Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the web page if you want to look at some pics of the seminar (more to follow). I'm just learning how to do some of theis high-tech stuff on the web.
http://members13.clubphoto.com/erni...wner-891f.phtml

The picture with myself and two other guys at the angle iron (660 yards) is Don Bower and Marc Sheehan. Don is the teacher of the seminar and Marc was his helper. The goal is to split a bullet by hitting the center of the angle iron. I was pleased to be able to do it. In the other picture of the angle iron is Paul, who was spotting for me. The ram was at 500 meters (Marc was my spotter). He put me on this ram First shot), then had me move several clicks left and then the next three were for group. Group measured one and a half inches for three shots. I was shooting my 284 Win. XP-100. These seminar will be yearly in Alliance, NE if there are students who want to attend. 10 is a full seminar. Alliance has a great 1,000 yard range in which to shoot from. There may also be seminars in the western or eastern part of the US if there is enough interest. I wasn't the only one to hit these targets with regularity. It is worth your time and money if you would like to increase your shooting skills with a handgun past 400 yards.
xphunter

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,764 Posts
xphunter,

I got error message "file not found" when I followed the referenced web location for your pictures.

Am I correct in understanding that your 3 shot group was 1.5" at 500 meters? Without the pictures and my slow little brain, am I also correctly interpreting that you were able to split a bullet on the angle iron at 660yds?

Dan

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I pasted the web page The software took out part of the address.  This happened on several other forums as well (some it didn't).  I'll try posting some pics through the browser and see what happens

·
7,764 Posts
xphunter,

Great pictures, particularly the angle iron. I assume the orange ball at the top of the angle iron is for sighting purposes?

Dan

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dan,
The golf ball was not for sighting purposes, but was there to be hit.  When Rich used my XP (he shot it left-handed but he is not a lefty) to try to split a bullet, he broke loose the weld that held the pipe, that held the golfball.  It is just a more difficult target to hit than because your windage and elevation have to be just right.  You actually have to always favor high a little, because the first time you hit the angle iron you will knock the golfball off.  Then wait to go put it back up again.
Some of the guys who weren't quite as comfortable with handguns used rifles on the angle iron.  We also had Encore & Contender Carbines available for those who wanted.  More than anything else, this seminar is about developing your abilities at long range off the bench.
Yes, the group was 1.5 inches at 500 meters on the ram and the distance to the angle iron is 660 yards.  I also shot groups at 800 yards and a 1,00 yards with my XP-100 and Don's XP-100.
xphunter
Here is a picture of the bower rest system.  We turned the bench around to get the light right.  Above and behind the barrel are little black dots.  Those are the 500 meter rams

·
7,764 Posts
xphunter,

Very interesting. Besides being justifiably pleased with your performance, I'd suggest you'd better hold on to your xp100 combination, shoots better than many more expensive rifles.

Did any of the folks shoot ala Keith (iron sight revolver)? I'll have to get out of Iowa if I'm going to try anything beyond 200yds, unless I find a range that I'm not aware of. Sounds like the perfect combination of fun and learning.

Dan

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I shot one of Don Bowers big bores in the TC which had open sights, but I was shooting it offhand.  Marc shot the same handgun off the rest and turned in an impressive group at 200 yards.  That was the only iron sighted gun there that was used during the seminar.  Just heard yesterday that there will likely be another seminar in September in Alliance, Nebraska.

·
7,764 Posts
xphunter,

If another session occurs this fall, please let us know. I'll see if I can get away (retirement keeps me pretty busy) and show them a thing or two-----NOT! There are days that, as they say, I couldn't hit the ground let alone a angle iron beyond 50yds. But would be interesting to see how it's done.

Sooooooooo, don't forget us, please.

Dan "on good days I can hit the barn" K.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will let you know as soon as I know a confirmed date.
Do you know of anyone else who is as interested as you in attending the seminar?
You will have a great ime if you can attend.
xphunter

·
7,764 Posts
I'm afraid I'm the only dynamic,"don't know any better" member of my retirement group! The rest of the old duffers play golf.

Any others would depend on the date of the class as they still work for a living.

Dan

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It will likely be a 3-Day Course.  Cost should be around $150 (You are responsible for your hotel & eats.There is even ammo and guns to use if you don't have one.
xphunter

1 - 12 of 12 Posts