Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been researching BlackHorn 209 and I am finding that it appears to be kind of on the upper end of the pressure range for BP cartridges, an example being about 27000 PSI for one 45/90 load (400 grn cast IIRC). Am I wrong? Sounds quite high to me but then I am not sure about how much pressure a full case of the real black would produce with the same 400 grn bullet. If this is true it would seem the volume for volume use rate would produce higher pressures than true BP, at least in some loadings. Any thoughts on this?

·
Banned
742 Posts
It's higher than BP. Offhand, I think BP cartridge loadings (45-70 anyway) run a tad over 20,000 even. But with Blackhorn 209, you would typically using a modern ML rifle with a 209 style breech which is "better" than the older cap or flintlock style ML. But I would suspect that if your using a cartridg rifle that might be okay, because even the "low" pressure loads are higher than that. Upwards of 27,000 CUP according to Hodgons. How that relates to PSI, I'm not exactly sure but I think CUP are a bit more than PSI.

But don't quote me on any of this.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts