Shooters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been playing with these slugs I bought from BPI. I used everything that was in their recipe to load them that I bought from them. The only thing I didn't get was the powder. So I measured out the powder on my digital scale for some test firing.

These seemed to be a little hot, so I backed off a grain or so on the charge.

Went out today with my single shot Winchester 12 gauge, pulled the trigger. The barrel was suddenly laying in the snow. The barrel was separated from the locking lug. I will TIG it back together when th weather is better.

So I really don't want to use BPI any more for reloading information.

Jerry

Attachments

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I can understand how that would get your attention.
About the load: what was the powder and the charge weight? Is that barrel smoothbore or rifled? Smooth, I think. How was it choked? Was the data for a smoothbored gun specifically? I ask because I have used BPI's slug data with out any problems for years.
The note about Blue Force slugs is:
Uncompressed outside diameter of the sabot is specified for modern rifled barrels at a land-following .739”.
I do not know if there are any other notes concerning its use in a smoothbore.
Pete

·
Banned
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I measured each load on my digital scales and I followed BPI's recipe to the letter. This a slug barrel, that is a smooth bore.

I think I am going to stop buying slugs from BPI and cast my own, I like the Lyman Sabot Slugs.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
The Lyman Sabot slugs are what I use. They work very nicely in a smoothbore Savage O/U.

That Winchester of yours has a rifled slug barrel; is that correct? Didn't know that they made one. Learn somethin' every day.
Pete

·
Banned
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a smooth bore.

Jerry

·
Banned
43 Posts
furthermore, jerry's advice here is potentially unsafe.

Uncompressed outside diameter of the sabot is specified for modern rifled barrels at a land-following .739”.

Wonder how this would work in a smootbore cylinder barrel of .729 or a modified barrel at .709 or even a full choke barrel of .694? Those old singles were often choked pretty tight. Might just tear a barrel right off the under lug.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Do you guys know each other ?
Tht diameter of the slug business occurred to me also.
Pete

·
Registered
416 Posts
Jerry might have been shooting an unsafe load, maybe not. Can't say, I'd have to see the sabot, but its diameter should have compressed OK. Anybody who shoots a .690" RB in a shotcup is sending a ball/sabot that measures about .735" - .740" down the bore. A lot of that is going on with no ill effects that I've heard of. As far as I can tell, he posted his problem as a cautionary, not a recommendation.

·
Super Moderator
13,679 Posts
Seems like Jerry got his goat on some other venue. He hadn't posted here since 2003-2005. We simply banned him. Disagreement on a purely technical or factual basis is fine, but keep to the rules to be polite. Trolling and flaming is the way to the exit.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Not trying to pile on, and not flaming anyone...but...I wouldn't use his loads, based on what I've seen on Handloader's bench.

·
Super Moderator
13,679 Posts
I am lost. Jerry seemed to be referencing loads by BPI, not his own. Pete D. quoted a note that appears to be manufacturer data about diameter, and tasunkawitco blamed Jerry for Pete D's quoted note content being unsafe?????? Is there some other thread all this confusion started in?

·
Banned
2 Posts
Sir - as I understand it from reading "over there," TasunkaWitko copied and pasted the shotgun information; he was not posting it as an expert on shotshell reloading and has never claimed to be an expert. He posted it because he was advised by a third party about the unsafe situation.

In any case, he clearly advised you of where to get your answers. A couple of messages to TimberGhozt at "the other board" will provide the specific answers that TW was not privy to, including the shotgun issue.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
There was a post by TW that was deleted. It was not a nice post to read - very strong flame about the OP as a person. It referenced the Handloader's forum. I got the impression that they had had "words" before. Then that post disappeared and the present post (2/20 at 6:27) appeared.
Pete

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,953 Posts
I don't know what the relationship between BillWallace and tasunkawitko is, but you gentlemen had best pull your horns in. This sort of nonsense will not be tolerated on this board, regardless of what happened on some other board.

Fair warning.

·
Banned
2 Posts
sir, i made the relationship pretty clear, but the anti 1st amendmenr crowd keeps deleting posts; even the reasonable ones.

as for warnings, you guys got yours. you have a wolf in your hen house. but i guess some folks just gotta actually pee on the electric fence and learn the hard way.

adios.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,279 Posts
As do you. It's pretty clear that you joined just to create trouble (and likely you are one and the same person as the one that got banned), and that's not allowed. Bye.

·
Super Moderator
13,679 Posts
If anyone is still clueless enough to think this is a First Amendment issue, we've hashed that over ad-nauseum. The reason it is not a 1A issue is included by example in Mike's sticky on "complaints", here.

If we had a filter for blocking self-important gas bags, we would turn it on, but, alas, that's beyond current technology.

To anyone posting non-standard load data or load data exceeding manual load ranges, I direct you to this sticky. Please copy and include the bold type information in your posts of such information for your own protection and that of your fellow shooters whose equipment may not tolerate the same pressures yours does.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts