Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran across the recipe for the BPI "Hammer Load". So far I've tested it on plywood and one jackrabbit. It really seems to pound the plywood compared to my factory loads. (I really wish I could legally test it on waterfowl.) Anyhow, it's a 1-3/8 oz load of lead, and 41 grains of Blue Dot. It takes a wad, a gas seal, a wool felt spacer, buffer and an overshot card. (209 primer). It's supposed to make nearly 1500 fps which is pretty good for that lead weight. I'm sure BPI is delighted when you load one up, since it uses such an array of components. I'm wondering if anyone here has tried this or anything equivelant? I want to test it on turkeys this spring.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Hammer

Where did you find the recipe? Components? What wad? Which gas seal? How thick a wool felt spacer? Type of crimp?

Pete

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's based on a 3" Remington SP 12 6-fold hull. It uses a Win 209 primer, 41 grains of Blue Dot, a BPGS gas seal, a BP12 wad, 1/4" 20 gauge wool felt spacer, # 47 buffer, and a 12 gauge .030 overshot card over 1-3/8 oz of lead. I loaded copper plated #4. It's surprisingly comfortable to shoot. I have been experimenting with lighter and faster loads for turkey the last couple of years after I got interested in the idea on this forum. I'm beginning to think more speed and less shot is a better idea.
I found this load mentioned as an aside in "The Status of Steel" pamphlet that BPI publishes. It's included in the literature as an example of a thumping lead load.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Almost,Kinda....WOW!!

Seems to me that 1 3/8oz @1500fps is kinda HOT. Is there any published pressures associated with that load ?? -----pruhdlr

·
Banned
502 Posts
I have tried some of the BPI slugs and the BPI data for the Blue Force is a little on the hot side. I now take there data with a medium size grain of salt.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seems to me that 1 3/8oz @1500fps is kinda HOT. Is there any published pressures associated with that load ?? -----pruhdlr
I thought it was kind of "out there" too. I don't notice it being especially punishing on recoil, (out of an 870) nor do I see any swelling, sticking or primer mashing. According to the recipe, the pressure runs 1050, and velocity at 1480.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Before lead was outlawed, this was my favorite load with nickel #3s or #5s. Only problem was, cases were a bit tough to come by, and didn't last too terribly long. But, it really did seem to hit like a hammer, and patterned better than 90% at 40 yards thru two of my backbored barrels with lengthened forcing cones. It had a very sharp report, and like all Blue Dot loads, was just a bit dirty. It clocked something over 1400FPS out of a 28" barrel. A 30" would probably be right on their estimate. BPI are a pretty solid bunch in my opinion. I don't know where my old BPI booklet is now, but it seems to me one was also supposed to roll the wad in mica. Never saw any signs of excess pressure, not that you would anyway in a shotgun before it was too late. We used to push 1-7/8 ounces of lead over 1250 FPS with Blue Dot, so 1-3/8 shouldn't have been too tough.
The strongest loads I have ever seen were on the first cans of Blue Dot that came out. In every pamphlet since they have reduced them, and the same with almost every other powder. The wussies have landed. :D But, I still have that can.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had to buy once-fired hulls from Midway to get enough to matter. They're all marked as 15-pellet buck loads, so I assume they came off a law enforcement practice range.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts