Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the guys I work with say's he uses brake clean to clean his Ruger SBH,and has for years with no ill effects. Just wondering if anyone else has or if he's nuts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Some folks do use brake clean and carburator cleaner for that purpose. I dont...reason being that it robs the metal of lubricant...especially a blued gun. I have found the best way to clean is to disassemble. There are some spray cleaners for guns on the market, and also some soak cleaners as well, and although I dont use them, I have heard that they work well.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
As Flat Top says, the various brake cleaners strip lubricants from metal, but they don't do a darn thing about dislodging built up carbon. They also are pretty hazardous and some are flammable and they don't offer very good control on spraying. I use a gun cleaner that has high volume spray (Rem Shotgun Cleaner) but I don't use it much. I prefer a low volume spray (Rem Brite Bore) for exterior cleaning and Gunslick Bore Foam for bore cleaning.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Brake cleaner removed the finish off the slide of my Sig P220, and it will also take the finish right off of wood stocks, be careful! I never use it anymore.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,103 Posts
Use outside and try to not breathe the stuff. Some of them are pretty nasty.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Brake cleaner works as well as products like GunScrubber, but be sure you get a non-chlorinated formula. The other kind will eat plastics and some finishes.

·
Banned
72 Posts
brake clean

the only reason i use break clean is to remove the plastic from the inside of the barrel of a shot gun be sure to not get it in side of the workings of the trigger or other mechinics because it washes away the oils and the parts get dry this will cause the weapon to not function properly.will gauld and the gun will not function well. the maine reason i use the stuff is to clean the ports as they are hard to clean keep out of the trigger parts.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I use the brake cleaner for the bore only. I put some solvent in the barrel and let it sit for a few minutes. Then spray with the cleaner. Removes most of the powder crud. Then clean normally. The cleaner removes all oil so you have to relube right away or you will get rust. OT, Chore Boy or Chore Girl scouring pad material wrapped around a brush for a tight fit will remove plastic from a shotgun barrel easily.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Most carb cleaners will cut the carbon where brake cleaner won't, and YES! they can be harsh on most finishes and some plastics, so be causious, and any and all oils will be removed so a liberal reoiling will be nesasary.
I use it on me BP revolver, but I do remove the stocks before hand and liberally oil it down when done!

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I use brake cleaner (non-chlorinated) prior to any blueing. It does as described-removes the oil/grease.

Non-chlorinated is said to be less 'abrasive/corrosive' to blueing.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Well, as a mechanic I can tell you brake clean, as others have noted, it removes finishes.
It can penetrate chrome and wreck it. If I have anything I value, especially a plastic, rubber, or finish I use carb cleaner. The worse thing is it can penetrate your skin itself and poison you if you use it too much.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,428 Posts
I will also tell you, after being a mechanic for over 35 years, that brakecleen is very easily absorbed into your body, and settles in your liver. Don't breathe it, and wear gloves.....Please!

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
huh.. an here i was thinking the stuff was just some form of alcohol under pressure..
i sure didn t know gun cleaner an such ,,could hurt your guns action..i even used it on the bore to blow ,or wash out residue..slim
that stuff really hurts ,or potentially hurts a rifle? hm slim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts