Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought some brass lube for resizing, Its a spray on type and works well. I have also used the thick type lube but it's harder to wipe off. Does anyone have a good and cheap brass lube I can make that works, the thinner the better.
Bob

·
Registered
256 Posts
Try Smiling Mink leather preservative. Rub a tiny dab into your finger tips and then wipe your fingers around the body and neck only of the case, not the sloped shoulder. I believe this to be the same product sold by a leading bullet supplier as a sizing lube which incidentally happens to be good for leather. Smells the same, looks the same, feels the same and comes in the same type container with a different labeling. I've just finished some 200 reformed cases using this and not a single lube dimple and no hint of siezing in the dies. Wipes off easily when finished. Requires only the thinnest evenly applied coating. Don't forget to lube inside case necks unless you have a carbide expander button.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,226 Posts
I like the Dillon spray lube, it's alcohol & lanolin, you could probably make your own easily enough. A bottle lasts a long time, much longer than the aerosol cans (the Dillon stuff is in a pump bottle).

When I just have a couple of cases to do, I use lanolin from a tube (get from pharmacy).

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MikeG, I think that the stuff I bought is similar to what you have. In my heathen days before I found Christ, I did a little drinking and thought those white Russians went down rather slick. I wonder if I used some of that if it would make a good Brass lube and if it didn't who would care?
Bob

·
Registered
198 Posts
brass lube

Hi pooter/shooter Midway puts out a lube and size spray it cost $8.99 catalog #204-960 this stuff works great in my opinion in case you don't have there phone # it is 1-800-243-3220 I hope it works for you Forest Punch

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Pooter,

You might want to try this. Before sizing, run the brass through your polisher. Then lube and size, and for the final touch put the cases through the polisher again using corn cob. There is virtually no labor, and you will be amazed how much a charge of polishing media can be used. It only takes a few minutes for the lube to be absorbed by the corn cob. Use the corn cob with no polish of any kind.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello guys, take this for exactly what it cost you. I've loaded 10s of thousands of rounds this way and never stuck a case or noticed a dimpled case. The guy that showed it to me (Kent Lomont) has probably loaded 100s of thousands of rounds. I took an old cake pan and cut a piece of carpet to fit the bottom. (I used a short pile with an attached foam pad, he had a piece of shag, I liked mine better). Saturate the carpet with plain old chassis grease out of a grease gun cartridge. I put it in the oven with just the pilot light burning to help it soak down into the carpet. You just throw the brass onto the carpet, roll it across a couple of times like you would on a normal lube pad and size it. You just want the brass to feel slightly tacky from the grease not excessivly greasy. Recharge the carpet with grease as needed. It sounds hokey, lowtech etc., but it is cheap and it works. willie

·
Registered
198 Posts
case lube

Hi Willie Forest here that sounds like a greate idea it also sounds like you could make money on it think about markiting it ???$$$ I have been known to look at someones idea and see $$$ well food for thought :cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Forest, Try it, I'm sure you'll like it. I've used it on about everything from. 223 to 20MM (BTW that is a BIG mother that really puts your lube to the test) and I loved it.
I didn't mention, but about every 5 rounds or so, I take and lightly scrape the case mouth against the carpet to lube the expander. You adjust your technique by feel. willie

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have been using RCBS spray, a little squirt goes a long way ;) give it about a few minuets to run down the case and your ready to resize...
Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts