Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally found some brass that I need in stock. Problem is, is that it is Qual-Cart (Quality Cartridge Co.) of which I know nothing about other than asking price is expensive. $2 per stick. Know everything is high these days and don't mind paying so much if it is really good quality. If any has used this brass or knows anything about the company, I'd like to hear. Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
I can't think of anything shot from the shoulder with that brass cost! What caliber? I may have some.
Never heard of the outfit.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Humm. . Never heard of them .. and leery of these new online reloading stores. . Just don't want to get robbed. I've looked at a few places I've never dealt with and found primers so they say .. in stock. . But who knows

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just did an Internet search. They said they are based in Maryland, but are presently shut down by the state due to Covid. They say they were at the Shot show in Las Vegas (2019 I think)

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,457 Posts
You could always put up a post in the Trading Post forum, and see if anyone has what you are looking for. Just a thought. Good luck with your search.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,600 Posts
Ditto what MikeG said. Us old scroungers "save everything" .

RJ

Reactions: Blackhawk355

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Their website claims their products are being sold by MidWay and Graf's. I might try some (but not at $2.00 each)...

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Their website claims their products are being sold by MidWay and Graf's. I might try some (but not at $2.00 each)...
Midway has several flavors in stock, but not what I am looking for. Graf's does. Everything that I looked at so far (even .30-06) has an asking price of $2 per stick and that is NOT counting shipping costs. I may end up trying some, but I hate to spend that much only to learn that it is not even worth 1 100th of the price. Was hoping some here may have used some of their brass or seen them at the shot show.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i was looking at 400 whelen-petrov cases built with QC's 400 whelen basic, but i never got around to it. QC makes alot of obsolete brass.
Now I remember hearing about them making all those obsoletes. Can't remember where I heard about them. Tried a Youtube search but nothing. I may end up ordering a box, then maybe another. Am thinking supply will come back soon. I see small quantities of ammo here and there, hoping this is a sign that things one the component front will get better.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I found the following in a two minute google search:

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks. I didn't. Are a lengthy search. From what I've seen n heard I think it's good quality. Just think I may wait a little. Found some Norma brand I can make work for 1.55 per stick

·
Registered
172 Posts
Finally found some brass that I need in stock. Problem is, is that it is Qual-Cart (Quality Cartridge Co.) of which I know nothing about other than asking price is expensive. $2 per stick. Know everything is high these days and don't mind paying so much if it is really good quality. If any has used this brass or knows anything about the company, I'd like to hear. Thanks in advance
Quality Cartridge is a custom brass maker. They can make just about anything to order. A friend of mine has a .30 Gibbs on a 1917 Enfield action and gets his .30 Gibbs-head- stamped brass from them. It's good brass as far as I can tell. I see their ads in RIFLE and HANDLOADER.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The OP did not mention the caliber, but one option is always to form the brass he needs from a larger, more readily available and cheaper cartridge brass. For example, multiple cartridges can be formed from once-fired 30-06 brass which can usually be had fairly easily and cheaply. It does involve some additional work and sometimes require special dies, but at $2 bucks a cartridge that the OP noted, it would be worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I got a bag of "Quality Cartridge" 348 Winchester brass then I picked up a good supply of Winchester brass, the Winchester brass is FAR better than the Quality Cartridge, by looking at them side by side, glad I only spent my $ on one bag.

Reactions: Blackhawk355

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I got a bag of "Quality Cartridge" 348 Winchester brass then I picked up a good supply of Winchester brass, the Winchester brass is FAR better than the Quality Cartridge, by looking at them side by side, glad I only spent my $ on one bag.
Remington made cylinder brass for wildcatters; the cases came in a box of 20 cartridges for $34.00 a box. The head stamp on the cases was 35 Whelen, the advantage was the length of the case. The cases out of the box were 2.650” long meaning there was little chance the case could be formed too short.

I have formed 30 Gibbs from 30/06 cases, I have also formed 35 Whelen and 338 Winchester cases from 30/06 cases. When forming 30 Gibbs, 35 Whelen and 338 Winchester cases from 30/06 cases I lost at least .035” in case length in the process.

Meaning? To most it means nothing but to me it seems the ‘new brass manufacturer’ would have been better off if they had marketed long brass for reloaders that would know what to do with it.

As a case former when I needed long brass I have gotten away with using 280 Remington cases; the 280 Remington case is .041” longer that the 30/06 case and the shoulder/datum is .051” longer than that the distance from the case head to the shoulder/datum than the 30/06.

There are times I have to increase the distance from the case head to the shoulder, when that happens the neck shortens; I have no clue what happens for those that can move the shoulder back.

F. Guffey

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,600 Posts
@fguffey

338 Winchester Magnum form 30-06 brass?

Or is that a typo and you meant 358 Winchester.

RJ

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Since this post has popped back up, let me add that I did purchase 2 boxes of that Qual-Cart brass. It seems to be top quality brass. I've got 20 loaded up, but have not gotten to fire any yet. Still did not really like the $2 per stick price, but at least I now have some brass that is actually head stamped with the right cartridge designation. :D

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
338 Winchester Magnum form 30-06 brass?

Or is that a typo and you meant 358 Winchester.
.338-06 A-Square - CHUCKHAWKS.COM
The .338-06 is nothing more than the .30-06 case necked-up to accept .338" bullets, the same diameter used by the popular .338 Winchester Magnum. The result is one of the best balanced, versatile and effective medium bore cartridges on the market.

No typo because I typed it. I did take a liberty with Winchester and 338/06.
Thank you, F. Guffey

1 - 20 of 22 Posts